Sign in to follow this  

California Dual Sport Alert

I am posting this here, and have also posted it in the Callifornia and Land Use/Legislation forums

Found this on the District 36 forum, posted by Dave Picket (District LAO). I'm considering it a strong rumor for now (Dave states it's verbal, but from a reliable source):

Yesterday, I received information important to ALL of those that have made the conversion since Februaly 1, 2004.

CARB [California Air Resources Board] in conjunction with the DMV, has submitted 1,300 names and registration documents for illegal conversions.

Owners with converted bikes will be notified that these vehicles are illegal, and the street legal plates and registrations will be suspended immediately.

As these vehicles do not meet emission regulations for road operation, CARB has clamped down on these non-compliant vehicles, and owners will be notified. It will be up to the owner of these vehicle to register their bikes under current regulation requirements of Red, Orange, or Green Sticker status to proper registration format. What I have learned is that vehicles converting prior to this date, will be "Grandfathered" and all to remain as registered. Future registration of conversions can only be made on vehicles manufacturered from 1977 and back. 1978 [with out certified "road" engines] and newer models will not be allowed to be converted.

At this time, this is what I know. I would guess that owners will be notified by DMV, CARB, or both. I will try to post more as I get additional information.

A question was raised about purchased units that were installed with a conversion kit from a dealer at time of sale. I have been told that these too are illegal. A gray area exists on "out of state" converted bikes. I will advise more as information comes forth.

I am checking into the CHP Form 888 that issues the guidelines and requirements to meet California street legal requirements, but understand that this form has now been "suspended." This action has taken place starting with CARB, with DMV doing the clean up work. I have also heard that if you have one of these vehicles, and are stopped by a peace officer, they will confiscate your license plate.

All of this is verbal right now, but the source is reliable. Look for Press Releases shortly from ORBA (Off Road Business Association)

CLORV members are asking the MIC (Motorcycle Industry Council) for a statement on this. News will be coming out on this in the coming weeks.

Sorry to be the delivery source for this bad news. As OHV recreation continues to grow even bigger, more anti-OHV organizations are doing what they can in a methodical, paced way to erradicate OHV as we know it.

Political: VOTE! Remember the leadership in governing agencies are appointed by the elected majority leadership in our state. The way to change things is by getting involved, get educated on the candidates, get educated on the issues, and VOTE. Yes, your vote does matter.

See www.CLORV.org for more information on pro OHV or candidates that have responded to the CLORV OHV questionaire..OHV voter education is out there, so get informed. The current "system" is not working......................

Dave Pickett LAO

Talk about concentrating a lot of effort on an area with such a small reward- how much is this going to improve the areas air quality?

You *know* this is being driven by an anti-bike group.

D

California needs to stop electing the people who enact stuff like this before it spreads to normal states.

Whats the timeline for getting an official news release?

How are they finding these bikes in the system? VIN numbers?

Might have to get a Washington or Oregon plate for my bike... sigh.

I've seen chicken little stuff like this before. I also know Dave, he's very involved in the political process. He's in Sacramento more than Barbara and Diane combined.

Either way, this may be a time for prudent actions. The surprising thing was the number, 1300 bikes? That's a very small number. Seems like a lot of trouble for such a small number of bikes.

Sounds like a salespitch coming from a Husky or KTM skirt... :ride:

If they confiscate my plate, how am I gonna ride home?! :applause:

Even if it's false, there's going to be a day when this all doesn't matter... the sky falls, and we'll be forced to drive/ride amphibous vehicles. I think I'll head out and pick on of these up as a "just in case". :applause::thumbsup:

Sounds like a salespitch coming from a Husky or KTM skirt... :ride:

Maybe you could trade that Honda for your old Husky. :applause:

If its true Im screwed with my 05 Husky. :thumbsup:

I can't see how they could even tell. When I got my forms filled out, they checked the box that said it had the ON-HIGHWAY Emissions sticker. If you don't have that boxed checked, from my experience, they won't give you a plate. I'm not too worried. I just got my 07 tag in the mail today.

Seems like a good case for a class action suit. So who is responsible for for identifying non compliant bikes - the end user or the DMV. I guess my point is somehow in all of this the DMV seems to have shed itself of all responsability for letting these bikes get through. Doesn't seem quite right does it! Seems like they should grandfather the bikes THEY let through and close the door on future conversions much like they did with the red/green sticker program in 2002. How much pollution could 1300 bikes actually contribute in the grand scheme of things. We'll see how this plays out.

You could always go the "special construction" route if it is that important to you - custom choppers don't meet emissions regulations as far as I know.

for more information on this go to joeracerproducts or offroad-only.i have no idea how to post a direct link.joe over there is a ca.state verifier from what i am told.he does alot of dualsport or special construction work and has some of this info on both of these sites or just call the shop over there and i'm sure they'll be more than happy to share what they know or can do for you if you so desire a plate.

After seeing the flags going up today, I called Dave Pickett from D-36. He was driving down to work the Republican Party fall convention this weekend at the Hyatt Regency downtown.

He verified this was a real deal. He asked for my number and told me someone would get back to me from Parks and Rec.

I got a call from Deputy Director of Parks and Rec for the State of California, Daphne Greene. She had the head of OHV in her office as well. They put me on speakerphone and we brought eachother up to speed.

It seems there has been just about every kind of vehicle getting a plate recently. People were getting greedy, quads, Rhinos, golf carts, whatever, were being licensed by dealers. It got big enough to where C.A.R.B. heard about it.

CARB simply went to the DMV and ordered them to rescind all plates issued to vehicles that were converted after the February 04 cut off date. So, the 1300 vehicles that are in that group will be getting letters. (Please, if you've ever read between the lines, do so here, I'm tired of arming the enemy.) The letter will state that you need to bring the plate back to the DMV and pick up the proper green sticker or red sticker depending on your vehicle.

They will not be confiscating the plates if you're caught riding with one of the vehicles in question.

Bikes registered before February 04 will still be grandfathered in.

ORBA (offroad business association) will be issuing a press release next week.

This isnt that big of a deal, Dualsport is alive and well in California. We're supported by the Parks and Rec division. That was one of Ms. Greene's concerns today, she wanted to know how she could help us getting information out. It's the small minority that votes in these laws, senators, and representatives that's killing motorized recreation in our state. We have to vote into office people that share our passion for responsible use of our state resources.

Please go to www.CLORV.org and see who supports us. Chances are they support a lot of other things you value as well.

As far as sneaking bikes through, I believe the Lady just sung.

What gets me is that bikes that got through since Jan. 1st 2004 are no different then any bike that was converted since 1979, no laws changed in 2004, the laws for plating bikes have been the same since 1979 concerning emmissions. Its the DMV that has been screwing up for allowing this to happen as well as us for advertising it happening. :thumbsup:

Like I said earlier I guess what bothers me the most is that the DMV seems to claim no responsability here. Their profession is to register vehicles and if an illegal bike comes through they are supposed to stop the process. I hear claims that people are "sneaking" registrations through but how exactly do you "sneak" by a VIN inspection? The reality is the DMV just simply failed to do it's job. They did the same thing when they botched the green sticker program from 1997-2002 and then grandfathered in all pre-2003 bikes to fix their mistake. I don't see a lot of difference in this situation. The DMV should grandfather all existing plates that THEY issued. What happens to the person that bought what he/she thought was a legally plated bike with a legal CA title issued by the DMV from a second party and now has the plate rescinded? Is that fair?

c'mon. The DMV is a relatively limited-function group of people who deal with vehicle registrations and licensing. If the number of conversions is 1400 over the last two years, that means virtually no one there has been trained or has the experience to understand the implications of a conversion like we do. They have to deal with millions upon millions of other issues yearly.

Blame the DMV? Nope. How can anyone here really be surprised when we all knew these bike don't meet the same standards as factory street bikes. That risk/benefit is all our own.

As far as sneaking bikes through, I believe the Lady just sung.

Tis a sad day for our group.

Thanks for your hard work in support of our sport Kieth. :thumbsup::ride:

Guess Husky and KTM are the performance DS bikes of choice now.

They will not be confiscating the plates if you're caught riding with one of the vehicles in question.

What are they going to do, then?

So, the 1300 vehicles that are in that group will be getting letters. (Please, if you've ever read between the lines, do so here, I'm tired of arming the enemy.)

Not sure what youre getting at. Could you pm me?

Rannoch - I believe rescind the plates answers it. Letter sent to owners, asking to turn in plates and with everyones busy schedules it may be a little while before the owners can get to the dmv. It certainly would seem at some point renewals will stop being sent out.

1300 in 2 1/2 years when 'all kinds' of vehicles have been plated that should not have? Put keithco's #3 and #4 paragraphs together... Seems these boards are being watched quite closely by all kinds of people. Whatever happens will happen and posting anything more obvious may make things worse. Or I am completely mis-reading it.