California Dual Sport Alert

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure. How about a link in all the other forums to this thread since it is a CA issue? I don't think of a ktm type bike with a plate as a klr650 type dual sport.

What does everyone else think?

I posted the info in this forum because it's a CA issue, in the Dual Sport forum because it's a Dual Sport issue, and in the Land Use/Legislative forum because it could be considered a Legislative issue. I just wanted the info to reach the biggest audience possible. ?

I posted the info in this forum because it's a CA issue, in the Dual Sport forum because it's a Dual Sport issue, and in the Land Use/Legislative forum because it could be considered a Legislative issue. I just wanted the info to reach the biggest audience possible. ?

You did the right thing - thank you.

The question from me is... which bikes DO meet the current on-road emissions? Of course I am concerned about my wr450, which included the air injection system.

I wonder if there is a list of bikes that will pass. I imagine that many mfg's will start offering plated bikes, such as Husky.

it seems as though we are under attack from all angles!

Your air injection system on your Yamaha is there so it passes green sticker emission levels. All on road legal bikes,that i know of, come with extremely lean carb.jetting and charcoal canisters,among other things.

Uhmmm.... it WAS there. The previous owner removed it. I am not sure why since it only blew fresh air into the exhaust. I can't see how that affects performance.

Oh well, at least he saved that prescious 1.5lbs, which really makes the bike come alive. ?

Lets hope they don't start checking for modifications to the bikes.

There have been reports of DMV revoking plates on bikes plated after the Jan 2004 cutoff date circulating for months. All of these bikes were plated by dealers and none of them were compliant with the emissions standards for getting a plate. In other words, they were done improperly and in most cases I'd assume that the owners knew they were slipping thru the cracks. It will be interesting to see if the new notices revoking plates target owners that did the conversion themselves. Hopefully not. And when the rules were changed sometime in 2003, the DMV/CARB stated that all bikes done before the Jan 2004 cutoff date would be "grandfathered". Glad to see that nothing has changed there.

While I'd be POed to have a plate pulled, the general picture is getting brighter IMHO. The selection of factory street legal bikes with good dirt capability is growing fast.

R

? Nice, I got my plate and haven't even taken it on the road yet, other than for testing. I gotta get at least one good ride in before they yank my plate off the bike, sheesh.

Chivobones, you should be good on the 02 426. Unless you just got it plated, then I am not sure. Good luck

The question from me is... which bikes DO meet the current on-road emissions? Of course I am concerned about my wr450, which included the air injection system.

I wonder if there is a list of bikes that will pass. I imagine that many mfg's will start offering plated bikes, such as Husky.

it seems as though we are under attack from all angles!

The list is real short. FIrst are the factory street licenseable dual sports like a XR650L. For 2006 the only bikes that qualify, and have the necessary sticker, are the Husky TE's. For 2007 the KTM 450 and 525 EXC's are supposed to be 50 state legal as well. Since the KTM bikes have not appeared yet, time will tell.

Seems this CARB/DMV conversion crap is really happening. I stopped by Off Road Only in San Jose today and they stopped doing conversions as of yesterday. Their website was updated to state the same (http://www.offroad-only.com).

I was about ready to buy a 2006 WR450F this week but this news has caused me to re-consider. Looks like I will go with a factory dual-sport rather than trying to dual-sport a dirt bike.

This sucks big time.

--Chuck

A Friend of a Friend in So Cal happened to pick up a 06 Husky, I will not post what He had to say about it, to many Women and Children on this site.

Just go over to the Husky forum. Lots of "new bike" reports on 06 TEs, mine included.

R

Seems this CARB/DMV conversion crap is really happening. I stopped by Off Road Only in San Jose today and they stopped doing conversions as of yesterday. Their website was updated to state the same (http://www.offroad-only.com).

This sucks big time.

--Chuck

Isn't this just a way to catch the cheaters? There must still be an official and correct process to do this.

My next bike will have to be a factory dual sport. I bet Yamaha and Honda have already predicted this are already working on a factory dual sport. With California being the largetst market, they have to be creative to keep us buying, right?

I guess I'd better hurry up and finish my xl500 project bike.