Sign in to follow this  

California Dual Sport Alert

I dont know what all of the hoopla is about, I just plated my bike at lunch....

plate001.jpg

I went ahead and did the quad too...

plate003.jpg

Does this include the 02 and older bikes grand fathered in as green sticker?

My understanding is that those bikes that are true green sticker, pre-2002, and have been inspected and registered pre-Feb 21?, 2002 are ok.

I don't understand the need to cut the corners on keeping it street legal. If you are riding the trails do you really save that much weight by taking off your lights? This is an obvious stop for a ranger or cop if they see the bike on the street. I'm new to riding and have a great time out there, I only hope we can continue to ride. At this rate, we are going to loose our riding areas and be stuck on the tracks with 8 million other people going roundy-round in the dust:thumbsdn:.

I don't understand the need to cut the corners on keeping it street legal. If you are riding the trails do you really save that much weight by taking off your lights? This is an obvious stop for a ranger or cop if they see the bike on the street. I'm new to riding and have a great time out there, I only hope we can continue to ride. At this rate, we are going to loose our riding areas and be stuck on the tracks with 8 million other people going roundy-round in the dust:thumbsdn:.

HUH? :thumbsup:

Doubt that this reason has ANY bearing on why our sport is getting snuffed out

….because some guy takes off his mirrors or blinkers, and gets caught.

here's why:

OHVing is a dangerous sport…scared rich people don’t like scary things…

they like bird watching and building sand castles.

They like yachts…and Aspen Vacations. With soft pillows and German motorcars.

…They don’t like fire breathing XR650s that sound like nitro burning fright-trains.

They don’t like monster hillclimbs with whooped out approaches and sketchy off-camber ruts.

They don’t like high octane running 450’s with rototiller tires.

And they definitely don’t like… loamy desert sand washes and 4th gear wheelies!

What’s the point you ask?

It’s simple

He, who has the Gold, makes the rules

And All these ******* ass politicians and lawmakers you vote for get on their knees and suck it hard for the almighty dollar. No exception.

HUH? :thumbsup:

Doubt that this reason has ANY bearing on why our sport is getting snuffed out

….because some guy takes off his mirrors or blinkers, and gets caught.

here's why:

OHVing is a dangerous sport…scared rich people don’t like scary things…

they like bird watching and building sand castles.

They like yachts…and Aspen Vacations. With soft pillows and German motorcars.

…They don’t like fire breathing XR650s that sound like nitro burning fright-trains.

They don’t like monster hillclimbs with whooped out approaches and sketchy off-camber ruts.

They don’t like high octane running 450’s with rototiller tires.

And they definitely don’t like… loamy desert sand washes and 4th gear wheelies!

What’s the point you ask?

It’s simple

He, who has the Gold, makes the rules

And All these ******* ass politicians and lawmakers you vote for get on their knees and suck it hard for the almighty dollar. No exception.

Colorful and generally accurate.......this DS thing is not why we are losing riding areas. But I don't think we are fighting the "rich" here either. The hard core enviros are the enemy, and they have been smart enough to dupe thousands of volvo driving-REI wearing-college educated-urban living nitwits into writing their organization a membership check. Most of the hard core enviros look like sasquatch, don't have a pot or a window to piss from and are living in their vans while trying to finish their fourth PhD. The nitwits that support them spend maybe 15 minutes per year outdoors, but feel "empowered" about protecting "the environment". I don't think they have a clue about how radical the enviro leadership is these days and would balk if they ever found out. I am surrounded by these people and they make me ill. My wife knows that it is best to remove me from their presence when the subject of "protecting the environment" comes up in conversation.

Well EM, I agree with you – for the most part.

As far as their brainwashing propaganda is concerned, I agree…the world is full of it, and it seems every organization wants a turn at convincing you of one thing or another…But like I said…he who has the cash, can afford a brainwashing spot on your boob tube. Unfortunately fr us “Save the planet” is DIRECTLY related to the off highway vehicle user.

The people with the cash have put us at the top of the evil chart. Never mind my recreational activities (like my gas hog yacht) …lets get that damn low polluting dirtbike out of our beautiful desert (even though you’ll never see me in that desert).!

This sport (for the most part) is a “working-mans” sport. I hate to be stereotypical here, but it’s true. It’s a low buy in and a high risk thrill sport. This makes it a target to all kinds of bullshit. Rules, Regulations, fees, closures, A F@CKING RECALL ON MOTORCYCLE REGISTRATION?!?!? I mean gimme a f@cking break! :ride:

And it’s happening more and more.

All this aside…let me get back on topic…

DO you honestly think, that if our “American elitists dick-wads club” all rode dirtbikes…we’d even be having this debate?

Hell no!

Don’t believe me?

Look at Harley - every tie wearing pus@sy a@ss Lawyer is on one…

They’re now an overpriced status symbol! (Kinda like a KTM) LOL!!

No more dirt and grunge, now it’s all chrome and baby blue paint jobs!! LOL!

Anyways

It’s Simple:

The enviros have power because they have cash.

The Rich give them cash because OHV users are devils in disguise…grungy beer drinking construction workers…LOL

It’s just another front to the ***@ke@n class war! :applause::ride:

Solutions? :thumbsup:

I say EQUAL recreation for EQUAL populations! Give us our deserts…and our mountains back! Those horse riding fa@gs need their space and so do we! :applause:

Unfortunately…the only way to end this injustice is to join the ranks of the trendy weekend warrior custom chopper rider. I know it sounds impossible, but we need to look at this new overpriced trend, and emulate it. Basically, we need to sell out our sport to some corporate money machine.

Oh…

wait…

that might’ve happened already – never mind. :ride:

Well another way…would be to…put an offroaders for bush sticker on your truck and wait for something to happen! :applause::applause::applause:

Well EM, I agree with you – for the most part.

As far as their brainwashing propaganda is concerned, I agree…the world is full of it, and it seems every organization wants a turn at convincing you of one thing or another…But like I said…he who has the cash, can afford a brainwashing spot on your boob tube. Unfortunately fr us “Save the planet” is DIRECTLY related to the off highway vehicle user.

The people with the cash have put us at the top of the evil chart. Never mind my recreational activities (like my gas hog yacht) …lets get that damn low polluting dirtbike out of our beautiful desert (even though you’ll never see me in that desert).!

This sport (for the most part) is a “working-mans” sport. I hate to be stereotypical here, but it’s true. It’s a low buy in and a high risk thrill sport. This makes it a target to all kinds of bullshit. Rules, Regulations, fees, closures, A F@CKING RECALL ON MOTORCYCLE REGISTRATION?!?!? I mean gimme a f@cking break! :ride:

And it’s happening more and more.

All this aside…let me get back on topic…

DO you honestly think, that if our “American elitists dick-wads club” all rode dirtbikes…we’d even be having this debate?

Hell no!

Don’t believe me?

Look at Harley - every tie wearing pus@sy a@ss Lawyer is on one…

They’re now an overpriced status symbol! (Kinda like a KTM) LOL!!

No more dirt and grunge, now it’s all chrome and baby blue paint jobs!! LOL!

Anyways

It’s Simple:

The enviros have power because they have cash.

The Rich give them cash because OHV users are devils in disguise…grungy beer drinking construction workers…LOL

It’s just another front to the ***@ke@n class war! :applause::ride:

Solutions? :thumbsup:

I say EQUAL recreation for EQUAL populations! Give us our deserts…and our mountains back! Those horse riding fa@gs need their space and so do we! :applause:

Unfortunately…the only way to end this injustice is to join the ranks of the trendy weekend warrior custom chopper rider. I know it sounds impossible, but we need to look at this new overpriced trend, and emulate it. Basically, we need to sell out our sport to some corporate money machine.

Oh…

wait…

that might’ve happened already – never mind. :ride:

Well another way…would be to…put an offroaders for bush sticker on your truck and wait for something to happen! :applause::applause::applause:

No question that in the battle for land access, money talks. You are right on there. And the OHV crowd is vastly outgunned in the money area by the latte sipping, pale and puffy Sierra Clubbers that have never broken a sweat in the outdoors. My only point was that the enviros don't have more cash because the "rich" support them. Most "rich" people are too busy working to give a damn about the "environment." The enviros have more cash because they have been able to mobilize a much larger support base and because they have a more effective PR machine. And also because the OHV crowd is generally NOT active politically. I think that is changing and that makes be somewhat optimistic about the future of OHV recreation. The raw numbers are there to make things come our way. But it will take time to reverse the tide.

R

Here are the official rules from official documents:

http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/CA.html

Basically any bike that has been plated after 1-31-2004 is susceptible to having the plate revoked. Absolutey no bikes were supposed to have been converted after this date. If your bike was converted before this date, you are fine and will not be bothered. If you converted after this date, be prepared to receive a notice from dmv to take your plate away.

I have been know to take things off my bike that may break while riding off road. Not to save weight.

As far as the other combinations / permutations of bikes with stickers &/or plates - read Joes next to last paragraph in his post. Seems crystal clear to me. The vin # indicates red vs green.

When I google "Joe Wytman" the first search result is his web site.

I have been following this thread.I think it might interest many to know that A large amount of golf carts and quads have CA plates.I was on Catalina Island today and saw a bunch of tree hugging rich people drive a large amount of plated stuff that I thought I would have to be in Arizona to see.

Is catalina special?the city of Avalon is in California,L.A county of all places.Everything was plated I was in heaven,especially since a bunch of environmentalists basically rule 88%of the Island.There was 2 stroke golf carts and everything.I saw one plated quad that didnt even have blinkers.I wonder if I plate a bike on Catalina do they take the plate away if I leave?At least 1/4 of the plated vehicles had expired registration too.I think CARB should look there for violators.

Thereis a legitamit reason to plate things at a place like this.But we have our own reasons for needing plates"Those in glass houses".If I was a little more hip on laws and stirring up legal trouble I would blow this thing out of proportion,I could just make up fake statistics and lies.But that would be wrong,it would be like them.

if a 650 was plated for the first time before '04 does that mean that it will not get the plate pulled or is it still possible that it will

also, i just got my 650, (wcorbett's son) and it is legal and was before 04 so i think i am ok, i just hope it runs forever :thumbsup: . our local dealer told us that next year or the year after that the ktm 525 will be factory street legal which could be a good bike. what honda needs to do is make a factory baja version of the 650 r but i doubt they will because they make the L

somebody on this site needs to run for presedent or at least governer of CA. alot or all of the dual sporters of ex dual sporters would vote for you

if a 650 was plated for the first time before '04 does that mean that it will not get the plate pulled or is it still possible that it will

If it was plated before the '04 ban, you will be ok...

I have been following this thread.I think it might interest many to know that A large amount of golf carts and quads have CA plates.I was on Catalina Island today and saw a bunch of tree hugging rich people drive a large amount of plated stuff that I thought I would have to be in Arizona to see.

Is catalina special?the city of Avalon is in California,L.A county of all places.Everything was plated I was in heaven,especially since a bunch of environmentalists basically rule 88%of the Island.There was 2 stroke golf carts and everything.I saw one plated quad that didnt even have blinkers.I wonder if I plate a bike on Catalina do they take the plate away if I leave?At least 1/4 of the plated vehicles had expired registration too.I think CARB should look there for violators.

Thereis a legitamit reason to plate things at a place like this.But we have our own reasons for needing plates"Those in glass houses".If I was a little more hip on laws and stirring up legal trouble I would blow this thing out of proportion,I could just make up fake statistics and lies.But that would be wrong,it would be like them.

I thought that Catalina was 100% private property, but I don't really know. Plates are only needed for public highways.

I thought that Catalina was 100% private property, but I don't really know. Plates are only needed for public highways.

It is all private property but they still have public streets cops fire department post office.It is a city just like Santa Clarita.You cant however plate a quad or a a golf cart or even a wr 450 to ride between trails.

So much for my idea of dual sporting my wr450. I didn't realize that it was an actual loophole that everyone was using. It was discussed so openly, I thought it was the legal way to do things. I must admit that I bought the wr450 thinking I could dualsport it at any time.

I'd better get my project bike finished if I want to do some dual sport rides. but its an 82 xl500, it simply won't be the same.

somebody on this site needs to run for presedent or at least governer of CA. alot or all of the dual sporters of ex dual sporters would vote for you

In a perfect world....yea. Historically, offroaders suck when it comes time to vote for whats needed.

Hey guys....

Real sorry to hear of the restrictions you have to put up with!

Here in the big T we have many areas without any emmision restrictions at all.

My favorite conversion was a 84 TT600 that BajaDesigns helped me with "man whata bike!" that was no prob. registering.

Here if you need a title, apply for one!

We have a couple of sayings here:

1) hold my beer n' watch this!

2) welcome to Texas now go home!

Well IMO all you guys are welcome!!! Come enjoy our T soil anytime!