Sign in to follow this  

Oil Change...HELP

I am changing the oil in my bro's 2006 YZ250F for the first time and I am trying to get the oil hose off so I can get to the oil strainer but I can't get the oil hose off, what techniques does everyone use to get the oil hose off.

you probably dont need to check the strainer just bc nothin ever gets caught in there. just replace the oil and you should be fine.

I disagree with not cleaning this filter, the first two oil changes I did have some minor crap in this screen, however, I have not noticed anything after that (1200 miles), though I still clean it, better safe than sorry.

Did you disconnect the oil line from the bottom of the motor?

By doing this it allows you to twist the hose back and forth where it attaches to the bottom of the screen assembly you are refering too. The first time seems to be a pain in the butt and then it gets easier, I actually used a pair of pliers to wiggle it off the first time but you need to be careful since the hose goes over a soft metal flange and you do not want to crunch it. Once off simply use a, I believe, a 15mm long socket to remove the screen then hit with cleaner and reinstall.

I disagree with not cleaning this filter, the first two oil changes I did have some minor crap in this screen, however, I have not noticed anything after that (1200 miles), though I still clean it, better safe than sorry.

Did you disconnect the oil line from the bottom of the motor?

By doing this it allows you to twist the hose back and forth where it attaches to the bottom of the screen assembly you are refering too. The first time seems to be a pain in the butt and then it gets easier, I actually used a pair of pliers to wiggle it off the first time but you need to be careful since the hose goes over a soft metal flange and you do not want to crunch it. Once off simply use a, I believe, a 15mm long socket to remove the screen then hit with cleaner and reinstall.

He's talking about an 06 YZ250F, so the strainer is NOT at the front of the frame's down tube. It is located under the bike, see this picture. What does the manual say to do? You may have to remove the other Allen bolt in order to wiggle the strainer, then you can remove the hose.

So your saying that I have to remove the allen bolt and the strainer to remove the hose?

No, you should be able to remove the hose without removing the strainer. but you will need to remove the Allen bolt to remove the strainer anyway, so having it loose may give you a little more room to wiggle the hose out since you can turn it a little. It's a PITA if you don't take off the 2 reservoir's bolts and drop the reservoir. If you drop the reservoir, it is MUCH easier to remove the hose and strainer. Typically you should not need to check the strainer since it is long enough to pass plenty of oil and there would only be chunks stuck on it if you have some major engine damage - anything small enough to pass through the strainer will be caught by the oil filter.

Personally, I would not bother with checking it all that often from past experience (maybe after break in and then once a year) - there won't be much in there. Just check the oil filter, if there is a lot of debris then you'll know something is wrong, then go check the strainer.

Loosen the clamp for the hose,take out the allen and pull the strainer out and turn to the right.When you are turning the strainer assembley, pull the hose off. I eliminated the strainer and use a magnetic drain bolt for the tank.