Sign in to follow this  

Bar height setup for trail riding

I finally have got my new to me 2000DRZE and am in the process of setting it up. It's last setup was for the mostly street, trail wings. I bought some Cycratriple clamp mount hand guards and am having so problems fitting them on the chopped down (30 in) pro tapers. I ride 99% trail and 1% road to connect trails. I'm 5'-11" tall with slightly longer arms.

I've read other post about bars, but given the diverse group in this forum (street and dirt riders) I couldn't figure out if the bars that most folk are recommending (Pro Taper CR hi bend) is geared toward street or trails.

Any recommendations for specific bends and fitting the Cycra guards for trail riding are most appreciated. Please post away your bar configuration and the street to trail ratio you ride.

Thanks,

Tim

My dad just installed the Pro Taper CR-hi's on his S and he couldn't really tell the difference. He's 6'2". The biggest thing I noticed was a greater sweep on the bars. If you want some height, Pro Taper makes the KX hi...I believe they're 4.25" tall. Renthal has the Jimmy Buttons too.

I hear good things about Cycras too. I think I'm gonna try the Moose Racing handguards. They look pretty tough and have a better price point. I have the Tusk D-Flex from Rocky Mountain. They're okay. I definately wont go back to them.

Hopefully I helped some and didn't just chew your ear off,

Dan

Is he riding mostly trails or street?

I'm replacing a set of Moose guards with the Cycras. I like getting the mount off of the bars and onto the triple clamp. In a crash (which I do frequently) it seems more torquing force is applied to the bars when both mounts are on the bar. I've been a few sets of 7/8" bar. I'm looking for bomb proof.

DRZ400s, BRP triple clamp with the tallest bar clamps they make, ProTaper CR Hi (stock width), TClamp mounted Cycras. I'm 5'9". Trail:street = 80:20

The whole setup worked like it was made for the bike, as far as fitting it all up. The Cycras are VERY secure. I guess I got lucky on the measurements, as it is a bit of a guess. Throttle cables are just long enough, if you flip the housing upside down.

I measured before (stock bars and Triple) and after. Result (at the bar ends) the new setup is 1-3/4" higher and 1-3/4" more forward than stock. I'm 5'-9", and am extremly happy with this setup. Roomy and secure while standing. If I were 3'' taller, though, I'd go with a taller bar!

Indeed, there was not a lot of extra height in the CR Hi bar. The extra height came mostly from the bar clamps. What exactly is the challenge with getting the Cycras to line up for you?

Thanks for the info Aaron. That is exactly what I was looking for. I think I'll try and find a set of the CR hi bars.

My fit problem is a result of the bars being cut down. Due to the bars being cut down it shifts the predrilled holes in the Cycra guard in too far. No big deal I just have to drill a new hole, but the extra length that exist will also require me to cut the excess material of the end of the guard bar. I don't want to cut down the Cycras to fit the cut down bars just in case I want to go with a taller bars anyway. Those Cycras are the ticket, but you pay for it and I really don't want to do it twice.

Thanks for the help.

Tim

I imagine that almost all of us talking about handlebar height and how tall we are are looking to set the bike up for trailriding. I doubt the SM guys do much standing.

Trail riding is what I'm focussed on, but if people want to share their setup, riding ratio, and height (or monkey arm factor) that is cool with me. :thumbsup:

Tgod- Not to get too anal but...my setup has the taller bar clamps on an aftermarket tripleclamp. I'm not sure how the CR Hi will mate with the Cycra guards if you are using the stock triple.... :ride:

I forgot...the triple clamp mounts for the Cycras mean that, if you use the stock DRZ upper triple clamp bolts, the bolt will be attached to less thread in the triple clamp itself (due to the thickness of the Cycra mount). I got longer bolts (McMaster-Carr) to make up the difference. If you do this, add only the thickness of the mount to the new bolt length, because one of the holes in the tripleclamp (the BRP one, anyways) is "blind". The threaded hole doesn't go all the way through the triple clamp. A lot of guys run this combo with the stock bolts, and no failures have been reported, so it's up to you. :thumbsup:

Thanks. The instructions indicate that a longer bolt may be necesary. I ran mine back with I'd guess about 1/2" of threads biting, I was thinking that was a little short. I'll check it tonight.