Sign in to follow this  

Service Honda top end kits?

Hello everyone, I was looking around service honda.com because I've heard on this form of great savings from them. I need a new top end for my 1998 CR125 but I cannot find any top end kits on thier site. Can anybody tell me where it is at on the site or can I get away with just purchasing a new ring? My neighbor does this once a year and his bikes run beautifully.

I would go with an aftermarket top end really. Service Honda is great for discounts on OEM parts. I picked up a new wiseco top end for my CR250 for $75 from rocky mountain. Came with rings, wrist pin, circlips and piston, bearing was optional.

Edit : Obviously TT has their own store as well.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/Engine_Clutch_s/905.htm

I did not see any Wiseco kits, but its all up to what you prefer.

I was just thinking of getting a new ring. Or should I go for the top end kit? Do I need a new upper rod bearing? Its funny how a 125 top end is 75$ too, you would think it would be less the a 250.? :thumbsup:

It really all depends on you. When was the last time the top end was rebuilt? The only way to really check to see if you need a new piston is to measure it and see if it meets factory specs. However, if you dont know/remember the last time it was rebuilt I would just go ahead and do it to get it out of the way.

Edit : If you still only want the rings and such you can go directly to the wiseco site for rings (if you have a wiseco piston), or the servicehonda site has them here (if you have the stock piston) : http://servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/off%20road/cr125r%201998-1999/crankshaft___piston.htm

Its #3.

I was just thinking of getting a new ring. Or should I go for the top end kit?
If you bought the bike used or just don't know how old the current top end is, always pop for the entire top end. Then get an hour meter and keep track of your maintenance.

better seal? my rm had one ring and you can purchase a special single ring piston for the 3rd gen. cr250's, personally i think 2 rings are better for the average rider/racer..the single ring might benefit an aspiring pro or someone who could use the extra snap and notice it (if that makes sense)

it just wears quicker

Well If it lasts longer so be it! Supposedly it revs faster since its "lite". I actully just got into racing. I have raced 6 times so far in the AMA district 12. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

The 2 rings are for a better seal. As the piston is rising to tdc the crank is loaded with intake gases, then as is fires and comes down the exhaust gases go out the pipe and the intake gases are forced into the combustion chamber. But you know how a 2 smoke works. Just make sure that the ring groves line up with the pins and that the upside on the rings is up. Rings will have a taper on them if you look at them. This taper forces the rings outward for a tighter seal when they are loaded with pressure.

also. When the bike is warm and the gas is swirling around the motor the gas vaporizes and the oil partially seperates out of the gas and lubes the bearings.

Alright thanks for the info! I have a manual so I will follow that carefully. Thanks again. :thumbsup: