I don't feel good

I've been like this for the past month. Every time I go out to ride I feel like I'm not going as fast as I should be (i.e. my fastest lap time). My dad says I get faster every ride, but to me it feels like I'm going slower. I guess it also doesn't help that it hasn't rained in like the past week, and the track is super dry and dusty. My fastest times were when it just rained and the dirt is moist and it throws chunks instead of dust (not muddy though). You guys think that may be the problem idk? Any advice would be helpful. ?

I've been like this for the past month. Every time I go out to ride I feel like I'm not going as fast as I should be (i.e. my fastest lap time). My dad says I get faster every ride, but to me it feels like I'm going slower. I guess it also doesn't help that it hasn't rained in like the past week, and the track is super dry and dusty. My fastest times were when it just rained and the dirt is moist and it throws chunks instead of dust (not muddy though). You guys think that may be the problem idk? Any advice would be helpful. :applause:

You will definitely be faster in moist conditions ? Do you adapt your air pressure per track conditions i'm sure you do.Do you use different tires or gears per conditions there are alot of different things that affect you.But one thing for sure you came to the right place for answers :ride::applause:

Speed is relative to perception. The reason you don't feel fast is because over time you have become aclimated to going faster. The speed that felt fast before feels slow now because your abilities and brain have become faster reacting. This is how Pros go as fast as they do. They simply react faster. An MX rider is in a constant state of crashing and the only thing that seperates the slow guys from the fast guys is the ability to react and control the bike before you get too far out of shape. It sounds like you need to start pushing a little harder so you can step up another notch.

The track conditions will slow you down a bit, but what you need to do is push a little harder than you feel comfortable with and you'll learn to be comfortable at that speed. Then when the track is good, you'll really drop lap times. Think less, ride more. Over time your brain will learn to make your body do things without thought. The brain can be your worst enemy if you use it too much.

I totally agree with the thinking too much statement! I find my self practicing much faster than I race, I get nervous and ride to conservative. The brain is a very powerful thing! If you believe you can ride fast and be in the top few you will if you count yourself out early then you might as well stay home. I need to let it hang out on the line alittle bit more and game on, I find myself going slow till I get the whole track mastered, meaning all of the jumps no matter how big or hard they are. Clear your head and don't think too hard just ride and you will go faster!

Every time I go out to ride I feel like I'm not going as fast as I should be (i.e. my fastest lap time). My dad says I get faster every ride, but to me it feels like I'm going slower. I:ride:

Get a stop watch and have your old man time you and you'll know if you're going faster or not. ?

So don't think as much... Okay, sounds easy enough, but I really don't want to crash it sucks. I only feel fast in a certain section... wheelie over a drop off, go though an uphill right hander (about top of 3rd) go though a tight right hander and then an immediate left (2nd) and then a 90 degree left (just getting into 3rd). Then I get to the point where I don't know what to do long flat-track style left hander, sit or stand? then I'm fine from there.

Okay it's official my confidence is at an all-time low. Went out today in ideal conditions (just rained) and didn't feel any faster. I need a new riding partner... someone faster, my lil bro was good for like when I was first learning, and my friends all either come up with excuses not to ride (for fun) or they all have 2 strokes (too loud for where I live... Pissy farmer). I also think I'm getting bored need to go ride somewhere else. The problem is I'm a trail guy and no offense but MX isn't my thing.

What you need to do is ditch the TTR230 and get a race bike i have a CRF230 and it is no track bike and i got a CR125 instead i raced my 230 and got 2nd and that first race racing that trail bike convensed me to buy a race bike because the 230 aren't cut out for it.

Originally Posted by 1996CR125

What you need to do is ditch the TTR230 and get a race bike i have a CRF230 and it is no track bike and i got a CR125 instead i raced my 230 and got 2nd and that first race racing that trail bike convensed me to buy a race bike because the 230 aren't cut out for it.

Yeah but there are multiple reasons why I don't want to do that.

1. Don't have the funds for another bike

2. I haven't learned how to ride my current bike to it's full potential

3. I don't want to go racing I just want to be a little faster

4. I'm not an MX guy I'm a trail guy

5. I feel like sh ? when I ride and I want to know what will help me get out of my funk.

Sart hitting yourself in the face to get yourself pumped lol I do do before a race lol no I'm just kidding it works though just try to think of something exciting that will get your spirits up or drink a lot of mountain dew and get yourself hyper lol

WHAT?? ?:ride::applause: OOOOHHHHH, I see now, you're from West Virginia !!!

Bump... C'mon guys help me out, I hate this. You think seat time will help?

Trail riding is supposed to be FUN!! One of the places I ride is through some tight trails in the woods and I'm always trying to get quicker, always self-analyzing. The TTR230 is best suited for this situation, right, so it makes sense to push yourself when trail riding because chances are the bike is better than you.

Here's some suggestions - my opinions - but here they are:

You mentioned your friends aren't riding with you anymore. Why? Go find out and get to riding with them again if possible.

Realize that your attitude about the bike being better than you - not realizing the full potential as you put it - is a healthy attitude. Spend enough time on that TTR until you get to the point where you need another bike before you get any better. You basically answered your own question: seat time!!

Start looking for some other places to ride, specifically harescramble-type circuits. What's neat about these places is that, although the higher performance bikes (WRs, EXCs, KDXs, mx bikes, etc) will be there and are probably going to be a lot faster, your TTR can handle most of these tracks!! You will be pushing yourself and your bike, but it's doable. You'll be going slower but there's quite enough challenges to build your skills up. Also, you'll meet other people in your shoes and can find some good riding "buddies". Over time you will get better and it will be easier to feel your progress.

Dude!! Your problem is simple. You are putting WAY too much pressure on yourself. You sound like a beginner level rider to me from your posts. Seat time will make you faster. Let me know if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like you've never entered a race, and don't plan to in the near future. Stop worrying so much about how fast you're going. Go out and have fun. Start pushing yourself a little more in the corners...that's what's gonna make you faster. Going fast on straights is easy. Fall once or twice when you ride. If you aren't at least washing out in a corner once a ride, you probably aren't pushing yourself enough.

Yamajeb- My friends don't ride with me because they either back out all the time, or they have 2 strokes (1 GUY on the street perpindicular to mine hates the noise, but everybody else on my street likes it). Can't go to other riding spots (no car, and my mom doesn't trust me with my bike yet... Dad does though ?). And about getting another bike I'm replying to 1996cr's post "ditch the 230". I haven't learned enough to move up yet.

Crazyced- Well the track I ride at is a little turn track next to my house, and I didn't feel like the Off- road forum would be the right place, and I'm saying I like trails alot better.

Spring Chicken- Yeah I just started August '05 and I'm to the point where I can do enough to be fast but I want to get more confidence. There was a point where I never worried about going down, and just lately I feel like I'm gonna go down in every corner. So I get over that, and this is where I'm at. I feel like I kinda scared myself into being slower. My dad says my lap times are still the same, and seem a little faster each time I go out.

Well I'm back from a ride today. I FEEL BETTER!!! ?:ride::applause: w00t! I think it was just me thinking too hard about what I'm doing. I went out today and had fun. Figured out that part of the problem was my lines. Sat down in some corners and was A LOT faster. Thanks for your help guys.