Sign in to follow this  

Rangers Checking at Foresthill???

Alright, I know this is sort of sketchy but I am heading up to foresthill tomorrow with a couple buddies, one with a non-stickered race yz-125 and another with a red-stickered rm-250. I have only ridden there one other time but I didn't see any rangers the whole time.

I just want to see if anybody has ever been checked there because I don't want to take my buddies up there and then see them get fat tickets.

(They are both jealous that they dont have green-sticker XRs like me :thumbsup: )

Tell them to stay home, they COULD cut your day short. I suppose you could ride all day and not run into a ranger...but it'd be smart not to risk it

One of the reasons they want to shut down our riding areas is that people break the law and this is used as an excuse to do so. If your green sticker go ahead and have a great time, as for the red sticker, and unregistered they best stay home. Help keep the limited areas left open :thumbsup:

At the risk of being belittled and having your ass handed to you (some may say rightfully so) you may be better by going to page 2 of this forum and read all 100+ comments in the 'Red sticker, what if I get caught' thread.

Do rangers check, yes----should they check, absolutely----plenty of closed course tracks to take Red Stickers to this time of year in the same area. Trail riding is just around the corner for Red Stickers, assuming riders play by the rules thru the year and places stay open.

T1

Not the best idea, but to answer you question; no, I've never been checked at Foresthill.

Alright, I know this is sort of sketchy but I am heading up to foresthill tomorrow with a couple buddies, one with a non-stickered race yz-125 and another with a red-stickered rm-250. I have only ridden there one other time but I didn't see any rangers the whole time.

I just want to see if anybody has ever been checked there because I don't want to take my buddies up there and then see them get fat tickets.

(They are both jealous that they dont have green-sticker XRs like me :thumbsup: )

This is not the place that you want to be asking that question, wrong is wrong, end of discussion. BTW Yes I have had Rangers check Stickers at FH.

If you are in Sac I would take them to Elkins Flat/Gold Note. Red Sticker legal

Ret's suggestion is good. I'd also recommend they both run spark arrestors, if not already. We don't want the dry forest burning down.

I believe Stonyford is red-sticker legal too right now.

Ret's suggestion is good. I'd also recommend they both run spark arrestors, if not already. We don't want the dry forest burning down.

I believe Stonyford is red-sticker legal too right now.

yep, stony and middle creek are both red sticker year round.

i'd be more worried about the spark arrestor than the sticker thing, but either one will ruin your day if u meet a ranger in a bad mood.

First take the guy with the non-stickered bike to the DMV. Elkins and the others may be red sticker legal year round, but a non stickered unregistered bike is illegal on any public land.

..... and I agree that stickers are just one thing, and No Sparky = STAY HOME!

either follow the rules or don't ride, period.

What's the fun in that?

a non stickered unregistered bike is illegal on any public land.

..... and I agree that stickers are just one thing, and No Sparky = STAY HOME!

Not only is it illegal to ride on public land, it is illegal to transport on public roads. You need a red sticker just to put it in th eback of your truck and take it to the track.

A no spark arrestor ticket is expensive. $700 I think. A spark arrestor is a lot cheaper than that.

bigbob,

As you can see from the fact that I have a green-stickered xr, that I am riding legally...

I either ride with these guys on their "illegal" bikes, or ride alone...which do you think is worse?

I am not a believer in bucking the rules but I'd rather be safe riding in a group with a couple "illegal" bikes than I would riding alone.

Besides, California has some of the most moronic laws ever. Anybody seen some of the beater cars running around on our freeways? Those things contribute more pollution to the air in 5 minutes than my bikes will in their entire lifetimes. CARB can go to hell.

bigbob,

As you can see from the fact that I have a green-stickered xr, that I am riding legally...

I either ride with these guys on their "illegal" bikes, or ride alone...which do you think is worse?

I am not a believer in bucking the rules but I'd rather be safe riding in a group with a couple "illegal" bikes than I would riding alone.

Besides, California has some of the most moronic laws ever. Anybody seen some of the beater cars running around on our freeways? Those things contribute more pollution to the air in 5 minutes than my bikes will in their entire lifetimes. CARB can go to hell.

Make a ride post, meet new friends. There are plenty of legal riders to ride with on this site. Your post and this site is regularly visited and monitored by US Forest Service personnel, many of them who are working directly with trail maintenance volunteers gathered up by posts in this forum. Several times I have heard directly from US Forest service rangers who work at Foresthill and other local woods OHV trails about semi legal/illegal can I get away with it? posts like yours. You are not so anonymous as you think here in web land. You have titled your post perfectly to alert them and alerted them of your bike types and when you plan to ride. Good I hope they bust your friend's asses good.

Tell your friends to get legal or stay home, find new friends here who are legal and ride with us. :thumbsup:

PS welcome to the CA ride forum.

And besides the sticker and sparkie, will the other bikes pass the 96db sound test?

Ride on

Brewster

CERA...assistant LAO

George,

Thanks, I was under the impression Elkins was not red sticker legal. Now I have somewhere to take my bike without driving 4+ hours. :thumbsup:

Not only is it illegal to ride on public land, it is illegal to transport on public roads. You need a red sticker just to put it in th eback of your truck and take it to the track.

So if I buy a 1963 Mustang that has been sitting in Bakersfield unlicensed for the last 15 years I need to register it before putting it on a trailer and bringing it home?

A no spark arrestor ticket is expensive. $700 I think. A spark arrestor is a lot cheaper than that.

Also, the cost of fighting a fire will cost a lot more then 700 bucks and if your friend burns down our forest and kill the 3 black bears that have been hanging out on trail 3 we will be pissed!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, as 250xrj said this isnt the place to be asking this. I know that 1 or 2 of the rangers in that area are tt members and you just told them your plan. Like olde dude said, green sticker is one thing, hell even sound is another but if you ride with a spark arrestor, that is just f-in stupid

Wait a minute. Isn't FH okay to ride with red-stickers?? I was recently there and had my kids yz125 (red sticker). I did call the FH ranger station prior to doing the drive and was told they were not enforcing the red-sticker law at that time (does that change??). I reasked the question for clarification- Is it okay to ride a red sticker bike at FH? She said yes, no problem :thumbsup: .