DRZ400 carb removal!! Please help!

I just bought a 02 drz400 overbored by yoshimura to like a 419 or somthing. Anyways I got it from my boss ( I working in the motorcycle industry) and its been sitting for like two year, with fuel in it. My boss dident think i could get it running, but i did in like 20 minutes. But i still want to pull the carb off and clean out the jets, cause i know it isnt going to run right. So i pull off the plastics and the tank to take off the carb, and realize that i have no clue what im doing. It seems like its really crammed on the bike. I can use any help from any of you. Lol, the last bike I had was a dr100 when i was in like 8th grade.

Its a cool bike even though its four years old. It has lots of yosh parts on it, and lots of other aftermarket stuff. I would be really stoked to get it running good. Im so excited to finally have a bike again.

O yeah,

Im six foot five, so im gonna have noleen do the suspension for me, right now it almost bottoms out with me just sitting on it. lol. funny stuff.

For me I find the easiest way, is to undo the throttle cables and fuel lines, loosen the black rubber boots holding the carb, then using the handles of big pair of slip joint pliers pry the plastic air intake manifold away from the carb.

If the air box is warm it will easily pry away from the carb.....

Ron W.

Thanks a lot sir! Im at work right now, but i soon as i get off, i'll go give that a try. I talked to some of my co-workers that do motor work, they said that i should just unbolt the subframe and do it that way, they said they preffer that because it gives them more room to work.

There are so many personal ways to do it you just have to deelop your own. For me, I take as many parts off as I can to get more access to the carb. Others can do it with everything in place. I do completely remove the band clamps first. Some people rotate the sub frame up a few inches,

I don't know about the rest of you, but getting that exhaust off is nearly impossible as with mine it won't seperate from the header. I had to pull it off once after I crushed my first Yosh exhaust and it was a complete nightmare. I had to beat it off with a BFH, which trashed what was left of the exhaust can...

I just had my FCR off, and frankly it's a PITA. Oh well.

I agree that having the airboot warm and soft makes the job infinately easier! I used a screwdriver like I would a tire iron to get the adapter out and back into the airbox boot.