Sign in to follow this  

Hanging Rock Ohio

I remember what fun lifting that XL650 out of the mud was, and even better the next guy (who was pretty large) that almost did an endo on a KTM525 in the same hole.

Trail Ryder, Could not get the link to Black Diamond. Where is it? Hey Dale new DS Sept 30-Oct1 more trails then road. Hope its muddy. I'm thinking of going back to XR what do you think???

Trail Ryder, Could not get the link to Black Diamond. Where is it? Hey Dale new DS Sept 30-Oct1 more trails then road. Hope its muddy. I'm thinking of going back to XR what do you think???

Men’s Weekend: 2005 New Straitsville AMA-National Dual Sport Trail Ride

Labor Day Weekend 2005

This weekend was in the planning for over a month, but the time came to finalize the plan only G-Dog, Dave, and myself were man enough to commit. Initially we had planned to take Dave’s V-10 motor home, but in the wake of Katrina, fuel was a $3.50/gallon, so we decided to tow Dave’s mobile command center with his truck. We all took Friday off from work and headed for Columbus, Ohio in the morning. Our initial destination was the AMA Museum for the history of moto-cross display. If you are interested at all in moto-cross and its heritage and will be in the Columbus area, make some time to visit this display before it is over.

After we were pried out of the museum by the AMA staff that wanted to go home, we made a short drive over to Speeds ( http://www.speeds.cc ). Speeds is a high-speed indoor go-kart track with a restaurant and a bar. The track is very long, has more twists and turns then I can remember, and the carts easily exceed 35 MPH. The cars and track are equipped with sensor and readers, so at the end of each race you receive a print-out reporting individual lap times, top speed, and overall placement. Very cool. After 3 races and a few interim beverages, we desired a menu that a better culinary selection for our discriminating palettes than Speeds’ restaurant offered.

So naturally we visited the Columbus Hooter’s for the food, of course. When we arrived at Hooter’s, we were pleased to find out that Mustang nuts were in town for the Ford National had decided to gather at the Hooter’s parking lot. So we got to peruse the parking lot and check out some serious American muscle cars. Our waitress convinced me to try an order of fried pickles for an appetizer, but Dave said that she could have convinced me to taste dog crap. He was right, but the fried pickles very good and enjoyed by all.

After our fine meal, we set off into the darkness to find New Straitsville. After wandering through the Southeast Ohio countryside aimlessly, we stopped at a local mini-mart and asked for the directions. The kind local woman gave us directions and stated that the campground / event start local was between Route 595 and 216. We used her directions and sure enough there was the campground right between the signs for Routes 595 and 216.

We set up camp. Gary and Dave slept in tents, and I slept in Dave’s enclosed trailer. A local barking canine serenaded us to sleep. We all missed the motor-home and cursed Katrina.

Morning came and we ate some juice, bananas, and peanut butter on wheat bread. At the rider’s meeting the New Straitsville Enduro Riders explained the course. None of the course shared trails with the other regional Dual Sport Rides, the Hanging Rock and the Baby Burr. About an hour into the ride all we could say was "WOW"! They were right this was all new and virgin trail, with the majority of it being single-track. Having personally worked on course layout for my club’s enduro for the last 10 years or so, I know how much work it is to layout this much single track. The 2-days of trail laid out for this event was a lot of work.

The campground that hosted the event was brand new, so new that the showers and toilets were not functional, yet. But port-a-potties were available and a shower could be had right down the street at the New Straitsville Fire Department. The residents of New Straitsville were the salt of the earth and very hospitable.

Saturday night we struck up some fire side banter with Lumpy Summer. Lumpy is a friendly guy, featuring a ZZ-Top beard and riding an ancient Honda XL600. He’ll tackle any trail and always has a good story. 6-months a year he is a ski slope groomer at Salt Lake, Utah. Each morning after finishing his shift, he lashes on his skis and does a few runs down the mountain. Then some breakfast and off to bed. He takes the summer off, residing and touring the Allegheny National Forest on his Dual Sport bike. Ah, the life of a bachelor.

Sunday morning started off with a pancake breakfast at the historic New Straitsville Masonic Lodge. Sunday’s trail ride was a repeat of Saturday … single track heaven. For the New Straitsville Enduro Riders’ first attempt at an AMA National Dual Sport Trail Ride, I rate them a 10 out of 10. And I hope to return someday and hope you give their event a try. If you like rolling hills, hospitality, and miles and miles of single track, this is not an event to miss. The 2006 New Straitsville’s Dual Sport will be September 2nd and 3rd. GO to it if you can.

http://www.nsenduro.com/page5.html

The hanging Rock was Sa-WEET! All the Southern Ohio D/S rides are a good time. I big :thumbsup: to all the guys who put all the time and effort into putting these things together. We will be doing Sept 30th and then both days of the Baby Burr. We will be in Pa. over Labor Day

I'm thinking of going back to XR what do you think???

I thought you loved the 250X? If I was buying a new bike my first choose would be a KTM 400 or 450, but I have 4 XR's so I'm set for life.

I really do like the crfx but I miss my xr. I don't like riding the same bike everyone else rides. ( There are 6 crf250x and 1 crf250r that I ride with.) Plus I like the low maintance on the xr and the low end grunt. I also want a true dual sporter. See you on the 30th

I am planning to ride the dual sport ride in New Straitville over Labor day and am looking for a little guidance and a riding buddy for my first dual sport ride. I have been racing dirt track and now want to have fun in the woods.

I live in the Akron, Ohio and have a crf250x.

Steve Burroughs

I am planning to ride the dual sport ride in New Straitville over Labor day and am looking for a little guidance and a riding buddy for my first dual sport ride. I have been racing dirt track and now want to have fun in the woods.

I live in the Akron, Ohio and have a crf250x.

Steve Burroughs

Damn... sure wish I had some funds and a better bike (or tires). I'm in Cuy. Falls. Maybe we can hook up and ride locally some time?

All ya gotta do is show up..... There are plenty of guys to hook up with. There are quite a few TT'ers who do that ride.

Steve94c,

There's three of us from Youngstown area going down Friday night for the ds ride. Your welcome to ride with us if you want. We're meeting up with some friends from KTMtalk.com. We have campsite #5 reserved and will be in red chevy crew cab with a 34ft 5th wheel toy hauler.

Steve94c, I'm from Akron too. Can't make this ride but they are right. Just show up and you'll hook up with some really good people to ride with. Just be honest about your riding level. If your a high b and ride with a low c or visa versa its no fun waiting but I'm sure you'll find someone to ride with. We did this one as our first DS and its the one that got us hooked on it. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Yes very important to be honest about how well you can ride when looking for riding partners.

I agree, I ride slow compared to you guys, I`ll admit that. But I ride too fast for others sometimes so it can be difficult to judge riding speed/skills if you have never been in an event before.

I rode the Black Diamond ride on Sunday, it was fun! The Nutcracker 200 ride coming up Sept 30-Oct 1 should be real fun! I would suggest a real good knobbie for soft wet terrain! I was zig-zagging a lot in the wet, The wet in the morning gave me some serious trouble on the climbs :thumbsup: Might be time for me to step up to a little bit bigger bike- LOL.