Sign in to follow this  

Breaking in new bike.

Hi everyone, I just picked up a new kx250 today and am gonna break it in tomorrow. It says in the manual that i should ride it for 10mins, let it stand, then ride it for 20 and check the piston and piston ring. Is it really nessecary to check them? Because at the moment i'm not too sure if i'm capable of doing so...

No, for a 2-stroke just warm it up till the radiator is warm. Then ride it easy. Dont listen to the dumb ***** that give you a link about break in. or the ones who tell you to ride it like you stole it. That technique is for a 4-stroke ONLY.

so is the manual kind of overdoing it in that respect? Because i'm pretty sure that the dealer who i got it from (who's a well known chap over here in the UK) says i wouldnt need to touch the engine in that respect for quite a long time.

so is the manual kind of overdoing it in that respect? Because i'm pretty sure that the dealer who i got it from (who's a well known chap over here in the UK) says i wouldnt need to touch the engine in that respect for quite a long time.

Yes, no need to do all that.

I've always thought you should take it easy, staying below 3/4 throttle, and varying the RPM's for the first tank of fuel.

On a two stroke the key is ring seal. You want to vary the load on it in order to get it to seal properly. When I broke in my RM250 I road it for 10 minutes on a motocross track never going above 1/2 throttle. Come back in and let it set until the motor is completely cooled off, let it set about an hour. Went back out and ran 15 minutes at no more than 3/4 throttle, come back in and let it cool off again. Then full throttle.

The key is varying the throttle which changes the load on the motor. All your doing on a two stroke is getting ring seal. That may be why Kawi recommends tearing it down to look. But you don't need to do that. Just take it easy the first few times you go out, no full throttle or getting the motor overly hot.

I'm on a 4 stroke now, but I have broken my two strokes in that way for the last 30 years with never a problem.

Thanks very much lads. I just rode it for a couple of hours taking it easy and laying off the revs and then changed the trans oil and some other stuff. Took her out for a beasting the other day and holy moly this things quick. Crapped myself multiple times....woohoo! go 2 strokes!!

The most important time you start your new bike is the very first time. Break in is a much debated topic. Generally speaking the experts recommend "heat cycling" a brand new engine. This is simply starting driving around a few minuets get the engine up to full temp, and shut it down, and let it completely cool. This method allows the internal engine components to "temper" and "stress relieve" themselves, making for maximum relibility and strength. The average rider really doesn't need to be this critical, but I personally believe strongly in this process. The other thing to know is do not break-in an engine using a full synthetic oil. This hinders the piston ring break-in process. Good luck with the new ride!

I tried to follow the time sections that were given in the manual for the bike and then took it from there really, so hopefully I can look forward to some trouble free riding. Thanks for the advice mate.