Sign in to follow this  

The "I love my Dual-Sport/I guess I'm lucky" thread

After racing moto-x for many years (KX's), and after plenty of hyper-extensions, broken/re-broken wrists, and severe concussions...not to mention that fact that I'm 28 years old and my first lil' one is on the way, I decided to hang up holeshots and go for a dual-sport...so I bought an '06 S. I love this damn bike!

Being a native of Colorado and living in the mountains there are plenty of places to ride....BUT....I always had to load up the bike. Not any more! I took these pictures today as I literally rode 4.7 miles from my driveway down the road and the San Juan National Forest is in my back yard. :thumbsup: I guess I'm lucky... This is Lemon Lake for those of you familiar with the area...about 15 miles from Durango. I love the fact that I can just hop on, try to obey the speed limit for 5 miles, and be offroad to give her hell. Did I mention that I love this damn bike!?

http://www.skywerx.com/jd6strings/DRZ/pic1.jpg

http://www.skywerx.com/jd6strings/DRZ/pic2.jpg

http://www.skywerx.com/jd6strings/DRZ/pic3.jpg

http://www.skywerx.com/jd6strings/DRZ/pic4.jpg

http://www.skywerx.com/jd6strings/DRZ/pic5.jpg

http://www.skywerx.com/jd6strings/DRZ/pic6.jpg

http://www.skywerx.com/jd6strings/DRZ/pic7.jpg

Oh yeah...and those are still the "Death Wings"...

and after plenty of hyper-extensions, broken/re-broken wrists, and severe concussions...

Those deathwings should help you add to that list.... :ride::thumbsup:

BJ

I guess my great riding skills help me keep it on two wheels even with the "Death Wings". :thumbsup: The way I look at it...I'm NOT taking 80 ft. triples anymore. This thing is a breeze to ride...

Ha, with your motocross background you must find the dual-sport stuff a nice relaxing diversion. Me, I just retired from road racing to take up trail riding and I'm like "geez I suck!" :thumbsup:

Sure I had fun racing a GSXR750 at 150mph, but for me that was easy compared to descending a steep slippery rutted hill at 10mph on the DRZ, which scares the poop outta me due to my noob dirt skillz.

I have said this all a long that the deathwings arent that bad until you get into rootty, rocky,mud technical stuff then you really need to regear and get some knobbs....

BTW sweet pics!

I have said this all a long that the deathwings arent that bad until you get into rootty, rocky,mud technical stuff then you really need to regear and get some knobbs....

BTW sweet pics!

The trail is by no means a walk in the park. The pics are from the first 2 miles and it hadn't gotten technical yet. They don't call 'em the Rocky Mountains for nothing. It's like ridin' an endless whoop section there are so many damn (big) rocks. :thumbsup: I can't ever sit down....just hammer on it and get my ass on the rear fender and let it skip over the top....whoohoo!!

I live 7 miles from the National Forest and a ton of OHV trails. I know the feeling. We are lucky souls. Getting the Dual Sport seemed like a no brainer to me, best of both worlds!

Wait till you mod it up a little, whole nuther bike ! :ride:

Done the 3x3 and re-jetted...made a huge difference. I think big-bore is next. I've had it for about a 9 months now and I'm addicted... :thumbsup:

Don't forget there's nothing wrong with the Deathwings as long as you usethem for what there made for. No MX tricks. Nice pics enjoy your new toy.

BTW sweet pics!

What else is there? :ride: Every trail is either dry slick, sandy, rooted up, rocky, or muddy :applause: ..... that is unless you are lucky enough to live in the land of perpetual loam! :thumbsup:

Dry slick would be OK, and a little sand!!!! and a mud puddle but anything else..... wait this will turn into another deathwings suck thread isnt it.....damn it

Great pics! Makes me want to move to Colorado! I still have my DW's & haven't had any problems getting around. Granted, I'm not trying to win a supercross every time I ride, either... :thumbsup::ride::applause:

Beautiful scenery! I have visited the Durango area awhile back and was blown away how beautiful it is.

If you only have to ride 5 miles to get to that and don't use the bike for much else, ya might as well throw some full knobs on her. If you do use it more than that on the street, maybe get some DOT knobs. There is a real dirt bike hiding uinder those mirrors and turn signals. Ya, it is heavy and soft compared to a KX, but you really can go anywhere a KX can. In fact, climbing gnarly CO rock infested hills is a piece of cake on the tractable Cadillac DRZ, especially one that has a carb, pipe and hotcams in it. The difference in throttle response and overall power is startling with some basic mods, even with the CV carb with a DJ kit installed and the jetting set right.

I hammer the hell out of my S. After installing stiffer springs and some revalving, this particular lunatic behind the bars often gives WR450s and such a run for their money off road. Sometimes I will join groups of riders on racier bikes. The DRZ has been dismissed many times at the start of such rides. 30 or so miles later, they are usually surprised and a bit irked that a "slow and heavy" DRZ can hang. Being the stubborn contrary SOB that I am, I love that.

So don't hang up those spurs just yet, a guy with your background and skill can really fly on a properly set up S. Mod it a bit and you can go surprise and irritate the boys on the blue and orange bikes. More importantly, you can have a real hard core cross country off road experience on your DRZ, then ride it home down the road. Ditch the stock tires and let that thing rip :thumbsup:

I love the fact that I can just hop on, try to obey the speed limit for 5 miles, and be offroad to give her hell. Did I mention that I love this damn bike!?

amen. I'm also 5 miles away from 100's of miles of beautfil BLM land. I use to do them on 4-wheelers. What sucked was I always had to bring them back to my trailer (still do when I take my family).

On Saturday I rode 20 miles on rt 6 then went back home via a backcountry/Indian Reservation on dirt switch back roads threw an incredible forest and some tight slot canyons. Only had to do 5 miles of pavement before getting to my house. The only small inconvenience is adjusting the tire pressure transitioning between dirt and asphalt.

The mountain west is a special place. Really tough when you bring a camera because you're torn between wanting to take pictures of incredible scenery and riding it.