Sign in to follow this  

Where do you go for the 3x3 Mod?

Is this something most people do themselves? I'm new to motorcycling and can barely tell you what a carburator does, much less where on the bike it is and how to take it apart. :thumbsup:

Where should I go to get it re-jetted and the airbox done? Dealer? Will most cycle shops know about this mod? How much time, a.ka. money, should I expect this to cost?

thanks.

Is this something most people do themselves? I'm new to motorcycling and can barely tell you what a carburator does, much less where on the bike it is and how to take it apart. :thumbsup:

Where should I go to get it re-jetted and the airbox done? Dealer? Will most cycle shops know about this mod? How much time, a.ka. money, should I expect this to cost?

thanks.

Most competent cycle shops will know a airbox mod but really its not that hard and if you make a mistake like i did just ask and there will be help on this forum...

BTW I had this same question so i asked my local stealer and the guy went off saying thats going to VOID my warrentiy and so forth.....needless to say I called him a homo and left

I had a friend take me through the 3x3 and re-jet a year ago. Like you, I knew NOTHING about bikes when I got my DRZ. This forum has changed that just a bit.

Here's a thread on a re-jet of a Mikuni carb from my son's CFR230 -- just to give you a sense of what's involved in removing the carb, opening it up, and changing the jets and needle position.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331249&parentpage=3

Try to find someone who knows bikes to help you start learning. Aside from being a lot of fun getting to know your bike and making it your own, from a safety point of view we're better off really knowing as much about these machines as possible and being able to spot problems as they arise before climbing on board and tearing around on them.

:ride:

Don't go there unless you want it done right the first time :applause::applause:

And really where is the fun, adventure, nervousness, busted tab, kinked spring, lost o-ring, misaligned washer, torn diaphram, stripped bowl screw fun in that? :thumbsup:

This is VERY possible. I'm in the Denver area a couple times a year anyway. I'll probably bring the bike by for a re-jet and general tune up. Any idea what the ballpark cost is for a 3x3 mod? Hell, maybe I should just put in the new carb.