Sign in to follow this  

Coil Bind - Eibach Shock Spring on XR400R

After replacing the shock spring on my 02 XR4 with an 8.5 Eibach, I love the ride... but need to dial in a bit more preload. The problem is, I'm already at the minimum installed length for the spring based on the manual. i.e. 205mm which translates into about 12mm of preload and I'm concerned about getting coil bind on the spring. Based on my previous adjustments, I figure if I dial in another full turn, or roughly 1.5 more millimeters of preload... I should be just about right on static and race sag. Plus it will sharpen up the turning a bit.

So here is my question... Eibach says I shouldn't run more than 15mm of preload in the information that came with the spring. That would equate to an installed spring length of 202mm.... which means I could easily bump up the preload without a problem. When I asked them why the service manual states a minimum installed length of 205mm... they just gave me a vague answer like... "Honda is just being conservative". I don't really understand that response. The spec for installed spring length for coil bind should be an exact spec... how could Honda be "conservative" on that number? Unless Honda assumes that you are compressing the bumper rubber 100% or something unrealistic like that.

Anyone know how Honda gets that coil bind spec for the stock spring... and if it translates to an aftermarket spring like an 8.5 Eibach?

coil bind is determined by the wire size, number of coils, and free length of the spring. this is directly related to the stroke of the shock. if in doubt, call eibach, or give me a call and i'll help sort this out for you, joey

AMFMotorsports 603.256.6800