Sign in to follow this  

New 450 EXC problem....

Hi guys,

I recently sold my 426 and picked up my new 450 EXC on wednesday. I noticed a little anitfreeze around the head base when I was on the way home but I figured that it's new and it should seal up. It's leaking pretty good. There was a wet spot the size of a 5 gallon bucket in the back of my truck when I got home. It looks like it's leaking around the base gasket. But I haven't ridden it yet only cranked it up once. I called the KTM shop and they said to bring it to them and they'd hook it up for me. Is there anything I could do to keep from driving three hours. Is this a common glitch? What suggestions do you guys have.. Thanks!

A new bike should not be leaking from anywhere, so it's not a common glitch. Just make sure that the bleed screw on the cylinder, right below the radiator hose, is tight.

I checked it again today and it is leaking around the head gasket. I was hoping it would quit but it hasn't. The coolant is flowing b/c the radiators are hot. I ran it a little today to see if maybe it would seal up. The gasket it the crush metal type that is used on some intake gaskets for cars. I'm hoping it will seal up but I don't think it's going to. Maybe the builder put the head on and then took it off for some reason. There is no steam coming from the exhaust so i'm just going to keep my fingers crossed and check it tomorrow afternoon. If it's still showing signs i'm going to take it in.... I'm really stoked about my new bike though. I bought all new pants, jersey, gloves and chest protector. My wife says the garage looks like a pumkin patch with all the orange! :thumbsup:

This things don't heal by themselves, if the head gasket is leaking on a new bike have the dealer fix it.

Are you sure that the bleed screw is not what is leaking?

Just curious if you had determined that you did have a head gasket leaking.

The 06's are very lean and under some conditions will run anti-freeze out the overflow and it will catch in the front of the engine.

Just curious if you had determined that you did have a head gasket leaking.

The 06's are very lean and under some conditions will run anti-freeze out the overflow and it will catch in the front of the engine.

Especially if you crank it up and let it idle on the stand. The system might need to be checked for air by using the bleeder bolts on the radiator, and head, and the antifreeze needs to be just covering the radiator coils. Check your hoses while you're at it.

If it's a new bike, definitely contact the dealer. He may opt to trouble shoot it over the phone or have you bring it in. I haven't seen any bad head gasket complaints on new bikes, here or on ktmtalk.

Hi guys,

Thanks for checking up on me. I haven't seen it leak anymore. I'm riding it tomorrow so I'll see how it goes. I'm exicited b/c last night I installed my new Enduro Engineering Skid Plate and also put my new Bark Busters on and cut my bars to 29". I'm thrilled about riding, I hope all is well but I don't think i'll have a problem. I'll keep you posted!

Well Guys,

I rode my 450 for the first time yesterday and I loved it. I'm so excited about the time I had and the technology in the bike. I had no problems except the shifting from third to fourth was a little rough but after I ran it a little it loosed up. I felt like now all I have to do is get into shape so I can haul a** the whole time instead of alternating a mile slow and a mile fast.

most of the ktm bikes come a little full on antifreeze. its probably coming out of the overflow.