Sign in to follow this  

steering crooked, help

my steering is crooked...the front fender and the tire are perfectly aligned but the bars are turned toward the left a little when the fender is straight, and the bar mounts are also turned to the left a litte..i bought new bars tinking they were bent but no its still the same...is it possible the triple clamps bent or what? anyone have this problem before

Did you happen have a hard crash before you noticed this problem? Such as the bar ends hitting the ground hard something like that?

yes i had a hard crash...the bars were bent but i put new bars on and it was still the same so i took the bar mounts out and cleaned the rubber cones and then put them back in and straightend them using a level to make sure both were aligned and i seemed to have fixed the problem...they are only VERY LITTLE bent now i cant get it any closer. so its all good

Seems like you got it mostly fixed. If you hit hard enough you could have bent forks or a fork. Also depending on how you hit you could have also bent the steering neck (frame). If your steering stops (the stops on the triple clamp) are still in place and not tore off chances are the frame is still good you may just have a slightly bent fork (either the upper or lower tube). There is a shop around here that will fix them for about $50 per fork if they are repairable. If you want to have them checked out look around for a local shop or ship them to one. Might be something to check out in the winter months.

wrap your legs around the wheel (take your fender off so you don't tweak it) and pull which ever way on the bars until they are straight.

--OR--

Get used to it and ride that way

Most likely it's just the bar mounts. Loosen the two nuts under the top clamp and straighten the bars out then tighten them back down. If the front wheel looks crooked in comparison to the bars after they are square with the top clamp, turn the bars all the way to the opposite side that the wheel is off (ie. tire points left, turn bars right) and give the tire a swift kick. It'll straighten out.

:thumbsup: