Sign in to follow this  

Extended fuel screw sux - big time!

Why?

Because the extra length gives more sideways leverage and when you try to adjust it in that congested area under the FCR carb, it can easily snap the tiny little tip off in the passage.

If you're like me, you wont know that has happened until you cant get any change by turning the screw, have screwed it in all the way and back out again (possibly several times) to start afresh and still have no joy.

This is what i did and that made it worse, it pressed the tiny tip into the passage so that it would not come out.

There are a couple of threads covering this issue in the jetting forum, and Eddie suggests that if compressed air wont get it out then the carb is ruined!!!

Can you imagine how I felt, ruining a carb on a 3 month old bike?

I figured if Eddie says the carb is ruined, what have I got to loose?

I ended up taking the carb apart further than the workshop manual says is possible and against Eddie's advice not to do this, but I did get the tip out of the passage and the carb is back together and working well now with the original fuel mix screw.

Here is a photo of the piece of SH&*!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/Penno01/fuelscrew.jpg

I strongly recomend against using the extended fuel mixture screw, stay with the original one and make a tool to adjust it with - it is no more difficult to use than trying to get your fingers around the extended screw with the hot engine anyway!

Here is a photo of the adjustment tool I made from a hex drive screwdriver bit, it can be up to 23 mm long if you make one for yourself but mine works fine and is easier to turn/adjust than the aftermarket crapmaster.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/Penno01/Img_0016.jpg

Bike is running better than ever now and I didn't have to buy a new FCR carb!

I guess I should be happy about that, but I am real pissed off that this whole thing even happened and will think carefully about fixing things that work in future. :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear of your experience , and feel your pain and frustration. this sort of thing usually happens to me. I was considering a extended screw, but being I have never had to adjust mine I'll leave good alone.....

you just got lucky.

you definately damged the orifice that the screw seats in.just not enough to show problems yet.

the tip breaking off was your fault.not the screw.you seated it to far.

you just got lucky.

you definately damged the orifice that the screw seats in.just not enough to show problems yet.

the tip breaking off was your fault.not the screw.you seated it to far.

I know the screw seat is damaged, but it is working fine for me so I am happy with it as is, lots cheaper than a new carb.

Do you think it will deteriorate with time?

I cant help thinking that if the screw was made of something a little harder than aluminium then this would never have happened.

Suzuki did make the original out of brass.

Glad you seem to have got away with it.

I fitted my new FCR this morning, complete with the ZipTy FMS01 extended fuel screw.

It took me 40 minutes to fit the carb.

This afternoon I spent an hour getting the extended fuel screw out (2 minutes) and

the rest of the time getting the standard one back.

All because the extended screw made it run to rich, so rich it was still rich with the screw fully seated.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::applause:

I know the screw seat is damaged, but it is working fine for me so I am happy with it as is, lots cheaper than a new carb.

Do you think it will deteriorate with time?

I cant help thinking that if the screw was made of something a little harder than aluminium then this would never have happened.

Suzuki did make the original out of brass.

it happens all the time with brass screws as well.

your cabr will probalby be ok but i would avoid seating the fule screw.it may dmages the seat further.

How exactly did you "make" that tool? :ride:

I just shortened a bit with a hacksaw and smothed it over nicely with a fine file so it wouldn't cut my little fingies. :thumbsup: