Sign in to follow this  

runaway idle

My 06 DR has the Jesse Air box mod, DJ kit W/ 155MJ and idle mixture screw out 2 turns. Recently i've notice the idle picking up to a much higher level than stock. Went riding last night and noticed this and every time i stoped at a light, the idle went higher!! I reached down while riding and started backing it off but once again the idle is high. Finally really started cranking on it, 2-3 full turns backwards and the engine did not respond whatsoever! Whats up with this?. Bad fuel? water in the gas? Was running very good until couple weeks ago. Could not even ride it today, ran so bad.

HELP!

motoretro

Check the throttle cables where they attach to the carb. Make sure you have enough freeplay, and the spring is working properly in returning to idle setting. Good place to start.

Vacuum leak between the carb and the engine. Check the hose from the intake to the petcock first.

Well no pinched hoses, float level OK, choke not hung up, throttle cables not bound, no vacumn leaks, Here's the scoop....! The idle adjusting plunger goes through a threaded sleeve that is set for stick out at the factory and was threaded too deep. What was happening was when adjusting the pilot screw to get highest idle and then readjusting idle down to normal, I basically ran out of adjustment. So I loosened lock nut on sleeve and backed sleeve down additional 1mm. This was discvovered after pulling carb and examining everything I could think of along with all your suggestions. Runs great now, idles dead smooth and pulls like a freight train. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback. Often these threads stop unresolved leaving a vague "coitus interrupts" feeling.