Sign in to follow this  

Newbie tire/tube question

I ordered some Pirelli MT21's rear is 120/90X18, will this be too fat for the 400S? Also the only 18" heavy duty tube I could find was a 120/80 or 120/100. Which one will work the best or should I keep searching for a 120/90 HD tube?

Thanks again for answering another stupid newbie question.

i'm sure the 120/80 tube will work, can't answer your other question though, i'm an SM guy

That tire should be no problem. I have have the 130/90's on my bike. :thumbsup:

I had those exact tires and they worked fine... Make sure you keep your tire pressure up on the asphalt. :thumbsup: The pirelli 21s, particularly the front, really wear down if your pressure is too low. I keep mine at 18psi front and 22psi as per suzuki's spec... on dirt I bring it down to 12psi on both.

Thanks Jim, will do about the pressures. Also from the other post I assume the 120/80 HD tube will work fine. Any issues with tube reliability of using an 80 tube in a 90 tire?

Thanks, Vince.

If you were in a perfect world you would order the proper tube for your tire. I the real world you have plenty of room for error. Just do the install correctly, flour the tube with baby powder & air the tube up then let the air out prior to installing. It will help keep the tube from wrinkling inside when you air it up. I also air it up to set the beads then let all the air out before inflating to the recommended pressure. I haven't had much trouble using this method.

Anyone tried these:

http://www.tireballs.com/

I like the idea, can't change the pressure but I think there's less need to.

Less good if you go from one extreme to another but might suit a lot of DRZ type applications.