Sign in to follow this  

I need some advice re:ACL replacement

On sept. 30, 2005 I had ACL replacement using an Allograft (Cadaver). If only I knew then... After several weeks went to rehab for six weeks or so, all good. I have full range of motion but noticed I had significant lateral movement in the knee which prevents me from running, jogging, jumping ect. At approximately 16 weeks I went back for my final exam and the doctor who saw me,who was not the doctor that performed the surgery, (due to my doc having open heart) during the exam the doctor took my leg in his hands and shifted my knee laterally, paused a little bit, and when I asked if there was a problem he said No, not really, He said some movement was normal due to the material that is removed ect.. He said I could start riding again but to just work into it easily. Well its almost a year and I am unable to even run on the thread mill, my knee is very unstable and I'm afraid its only going to deteriorate further. The original doctor told me after the surgery he was going to band the graft to the bone but was having trouble with tension and so used a screw. My question is what are my alternatives now? How should I approach this?

Your case is exactly why I never use allografts.

Now the dead stuff needs to come out and a new graft of living tissue needs to be installed. The best place to get this tissue is from the patella tendon of the opposite knee.

After the surgery you will not need crutches, or a brace, and you can expect to be back on your bike inside of three months.

I know it sounds to good to be true. I am sure several of our brother riders that have had this procedure will share their experiences.

Yep, had my acl done by DRMARK 17 weeks ago. At 12 weeks started riding hard again. Going great, will start racing again next month. Best of all no knee brace anymore.Thanks Doc..........................Pete. :thumbsup:

Thank you DrMark, unfortunately, I had just recently started perusing THUMPERTALK when I discovered your forum and I had already had the procedure, I told the Doctor I wanted a living tissue graft and he talked me out of it, In fact the doctor told me a lot of things I am just beginning to understand was Bullsh-t. So I take it my body rejected the graft? The doctor told me that even if the body rejects the graft it will still be 20 percent stronger then a natural ACL.

I had mine(acl)removed and jog daily without any problems, had some stability issues in the beginning but with strengthening the surrounding muscles(quads) and time they went away. :thumbsup:

MotocrossJones:

You may know that I am from NYC. When my Daddy died, he left me a bridge connecting Manhattan and Brooklyn. Want to buy it?

Drmark, that hurts, I trusted the guy had my well being in mind, but the more I look back I realize I was probably a good mark. Well live and learn... wish I had learned about you sooner. Maybe I'll look you up when I have it repaired. Thanks for the advice. Kevin

It it continues to give you trouble, buy a SWA ticket to Houston. Meantime, good lucik.