Sign in to follow this  

duke 2 as only bike?

I'm thinkingbout trading my honda 919 for an '01 duke 2.

This would be my only bike. I do some freeway riding usually 15-25 miles tops and rip around town/hills.

what do you duke owners think? I know it's kind of limited compared with the 919 but I know I'd have more fun on it.

No Longer have a Duke II but did. Much better than a 919 IMHO. Add an Keihin FCR Carb, Mufflers and aftermarket airbox lid and your good to go. The bike is to stopped up stock and the Mikuni BST40 sucks (it can be made to work OK but, the FCR is still better) ..... have fun!

I just got rid of mine and am kicking myself already. I have ridden everything and the DUke is the most fun out of all of them. I had the mods done and it was really fun. My friends on 600's and 1000's could not stay in site through the twisties!!! Have fun and hold on to it as long as possible.

The mags look sweet but they are soft and will prevent you from running lower pressures (I recommend not running lower than 33-34 psi with the mags) you unless want them dented. I recommend the spoked wheels that came on the stock 01 Red ones. Yes they are heavier but you can run 25-30psi and not have to worry about bending them as much.And you could ride the stairs and jump with them too.

If you are buying used ....check those wheels!!

i absolutely love my duke II but i need a stabilizer. that thing is unstable as hell at anything over 85mph :applause:

Raise the front forks slightly by sliding them down a little in the triple clamps to get better stability. :ride:

My '01 Duke II is not my only bike, but it seems to be the only one I want to ride all the time. But I will be sending my seat to Renazco for an overhaul to make it bearable for longer periods of time. :thumbsup:

I got it on the 19th! I traded my '02 919 plus i got $100.

It's quite a bike and I don't miss the honda at all.

It was a theft recovery so I'll eventually get a ignition lock for it.

it is red and has spoked wheels.

It runs well- it has the airbox cover off and fatter jets but is really jerky at 3000 and below. Would a flatslide carb help this? I cant afford that for a LONG TIME!

yeah i saw that site before i got it. cool stuff from these new york boys.

Something along the lines of "what's wrong with the duke? as it turns out very little". convinced me....

I have two identical 02 duke 11(org and blk) and they are the best back country road blasters, I have ever owned.The combination of dirt bike ergonomics and sport bike handling make these bikes the kings for riding uneven paved surfaces and the twisty roads in my area.

I realize these types of machines don't give you that "front-endy" feel of a sportbike, but mine feels somewhat vague and lacks the sharpness on turn-in that i like.

It came with the forks slid down about 3 mm (raising the front) which may be to blame as well as what feels like alot of rear sag.

any thoughts on this?

I have a Duke 2 too! It is my first bike ever. I just started riding and I love it. I cant see myself on anything else. I grew up riding all sorts of ATV's etc. This bike turns some heads while pulling wheelies through downtown Detroit.

My only advice is to test ride the Duke before you buy. They vibrate quite a bit. Some people aren't bothered, others can't stand 'em.