Sign in to follow this  

need help with rear light wiring

Hey guys, I recently got the 8 LED tail light and hydraulic switch for my 05 450x but i have no idea how to go about setting it up... I have my bike supermoto'd out but for street use I thought it would be good to let drivers know when i am breaking....

has anyone done this mod? please help !

05 crf 450X

First off... where'd you get the modification/wiring/LED setup??

If you bought it from BajaD, it's all in the instructions and super easy. Sounds like you didn't get their bolt on kit. OR are you going to use the stock LED placement and use the one that has brake and running all in one OEM looking unit?!

You need to let 'us' know what you got in the kit specifically.

First big question = is the LED a 2 or 3 wire??

Second, if the LED is a 2 wire, you'll need resistors and diodes. If it's a 3 wire... much easier.

You need the brake switch that screws into the rear brake actuator/cylinder. That should wire up and over the battery area to where your bullet connectors are behind the left sideplate (clutch lever side). You'll have to "Y" into this as you'll be sending brake, running, and ground to the rear light.

Let's start there... you with me so far?!?!

:thumbsup:

Johnny, are you farmiliar with the 4 LED stock tail light that we get in Aust ? I assume it would require a very similar transition as the 8 ? Are you able to tell me what resistance is needed to transform my LED tail light into a brake light as well. The bikes here already have an electronic switch on the brake pedle and all the wiring. Thanks.

hey guys, thanks for the responses,

I got the brake switch and 8 led tail light from crfsonly.com

the light is designed to go in the stock placement and it has 3 wires. The brake switch has two comming from it....

sorry for the delayed response..... if you can help me from here it would be great!

You take one of the wires from the brake switch and connect it to a hot lead (either at your battery or some other "always hot" wire). You should also install a inline fuse on this wire - "just becuz". You take the other and attach it to the "brake" wire off the LED assembly. As for the LED you should have the one you just connected to the brake switch, and the other two connect to your stock wires. The stock gray wire should be the tail light and the black should be ground.

Note: On my new tail assembly (DRC) the yellow wire is the tail light and is connected to the gray, the red wire is for the Brake and connects to one of the brake switch wires and the black tail light wire is connect to the stock black ground wire.

I just found the below in the 250X forum....Just want to make sure this is the correct way to wire up my DRC light and switch and that there is nothing else involved? Could someone confirm? Thanks!

-------------------

EDIT: The guidance below is for an 04/05 250X. Mine is an 06 250X. I know....wrong forum. I've asked twice down there and gotten no help so far. Thought I'd try up here in the hope that an 06 450X is like mine: the grey wire from the stock taillight goes to the ICM. I don't know whether to use it as a ground (i.e. instead of the green below) or not. If not, how to do it?

-------------------

The factory taillight has two wires:

1) Black power lead

2) Green ground

The DRC combo light has three wires:

3) Red brake lead

4) Yellow tail/running light lead

5) Black ground

The brake switch has two leads:

6) black

7) another black

Referencing the wire numbers above, the tail light is as simple as connecting 1 to 4 and 2 to 5. Assuming you have already installed the brake switch, connect one of the switch leads (6 or 7 - doesn't matter which) to 3 and the other to 1.

And no, that is not a typo, you want both lead 4 and one of the brake switch leads (6 or 7) connected to the factory power lead 1.

That's it. I used plastic conduit around all the wires and heat wrap on the leads above the brake switch as they come close to the exhaust pipe.

I received confirmation in 250X forum that grey is grounded internally in ICM per my previous post. Hopefully this information is useful to some 06 450X owners too.

Dave

Just affirming this Crf450x taillight brakelight switch wiring as stated above by Dave. I just wired up my '13 crf450x with the DRC tailight/brakelight & Hydraulic brake switch, bought from Rockt Mt Atv. & all went well.

For the hydraulic brake switch power wire, I simply slipped the end of it inside the bullet tip of the LED brake light's power wire & soldered it in there, so now both power wires plug into the main ECM power lead for the stock tailight. And FYI don't get any silicone spray on the DRC tailight or it will permanently etch its surface :(