Sign in to follow this  

CR 250 powervalve service

Any you guys got any info on servicing the power valve on my 2001 cr250.

Iv only just brought the bike and it seems to be bogging low down. When its revving it pulls fine. Iv been told to check that the valve is closing properly. Where is the adjustment? Thanks

Danny

i dont think there is any external adjustment like on the newer RC valve equipped motors, however, if you want to check if the PV is operating correctly, you need to take off the left cover (requires a 14mm socket?) and you have to look and see if the pin turns counter-clock wise when you rev the motor. i think theres an "H" and and "L" stamped on top of the circular shaped housing and to the side next to the header, and if it is working correctly it will return to its normal position which is the "L" after you let off the throttle. If it is malfunctioning, you have to tear down the top end and degrease all the parts of the valve and replace any springs that might be out of service limit.

Alright there mate the valve was stuck open. Whoever changed the piston before didn't align the power valve mech when he put the barrel on. Cheers

Alright there mate the valve was stuck open. Whoever changed the piston before didn't align the power valve mech when he put the barrel on. Cheers

Very common. My 95' was the same way when I got it.

the only adjustment that i know is, on the right side of the motor, under the cover, you iwill see a spring on top of the shaft. according to the manual, there is a specific measurement that it needs. basically, you take a feeler guage and make sure you have the right spring to shaft clearence...i personally have never measured it, i use a calibrated eye... :ride:

moose racing makes a part that allows you to kind of adjust the opening and closing tension though... :thumbsup:

One little additional bit of info I'll throw in here....when cleaning the carbon deposits from the valve body and internals of the right side, I've always used oven cleaner, and had stellar results with no negative side effects. (just be sure to do it in an open-air area; with gloves, safety glasses and maybe even a facemask/dustmask.)