Sign in to follow this  

DR200SE Wont Start When Warmed Up

Ok, I just purchased a 98 Suzuki DR200SE for my buddy’s wife. It starts and runs great at first. Then after you warm it up or ride it hard it starts to cut out and runs really rough. If you try to start it when warm you have to give it full throttle and let it crank for ~30 seconds until it finally starts up but still runs rough. I have been through the carb a few different times and haven't noticed anything wrong (floats not stuck, jets not blocked, chokes not sticking, etc). I purchased the bike from a guy from California. We live in Idaho and ride at anywhere from 2500-7000 ft elevation most of the time. I assume the jetting is all stock (I know it has a 125 main). Could jetting cause it to not start after being warmed up? The plug is black indicating too rich. I also noticed that dust collects where the head and Jug meet. Would a leaky head gasket cause this type of behavior? After the bike sits for a while it starts right up and idles great. Thanks.

Ok, I figured out what was going on. Because the rubber o-ring seat in the carb was bad (the seat for the float needle that stops gas from getting into the card when full) it allowed gas to work its way into the exhaust and back into the air filter. I replaced the o-ring to resolve the problem and removed all gas from the exhaust and air filter/box. What I didn’t know was that gas had worked its way down into the motor and mixed with the Oil! The bike would start and run ok when cold but then cut out and stop starting after it was warm. Additionally the spark plug was black from excess carbon build up. After I discovered the bad oil and replaced it, the bike ran great!