Sign in to follow this  

CRF 230 - WR 200 Fronts Forks

Yo Guys a little info

Would WR 200 Front Forks be suitable for use on the CRF230 if so any recomendations regarding suspention tuning & oil weights ?

Thanx in advance

What is the obsession with wanting to change the suspension on the 230's? &%$#@! did you buy a trail bike if you wanted an MX bike?

You can polish a turd, but it's still a turd.

No disrespect but I think you've got it all wrong Derek...

First the bike he's talking about is an off-road bike, not an MX bike and 2nd, that's a big part of the fun of having a CRF150 or CRF230 - doing mods to it, tinkering and having fun.

Second - good mods always make it more fun. The CRF's don't have any adjustable damping which is not only ridiculous, but it's dang ridiculous. Trust me, Honda has parts bins that are so deep - even if they'd stuck 1983 CR125 forks and shocks on these bikes, they'd be better than now.

Point being, this is a mod that makes the bike even more fun...

Worxster - The WR200 was a cool little woods bike. Never did compete well with the KDX200, but it was still a good little bike. Biggest thing you'll want is to see if spring rates are still available, and any sort of comp or rebound adjustment (prob just rebound on a WR200?). If not, no sense in bolting them on.

Peace...

Mikeee P

No disrespect but I think you've got it all wrong Derek...

You can disrespect him. He's usually pretty disrespectful in most posts as he is in this post. Treat him with all the respect he's earned on this site.

Not to mention the guy is trolling in this forum and doesn't have a 150 or 230.

Yes, I do.

2004 CRF150.

If you wanted to mod something....why wouldn't you buy the 150? WAY more options.

And how could you even think forks from a different manufacturer could bolt right on?

And I don't give respect to some of the people on here because they don't deserve it. Some people need to be knocked down from the cloud they are floating on.

My son has a CRF230 and we put CR85R forks on it and a Works performance shock. We also opened up the airbox and rejetted it. Now this bike rocks and has plenty of power for trailriding and climbing rocks. We also changed the bars to tags. See, just a few mods and this bike is deceint.

Yes, I do.

2004 CRF150.

If you wanted to mod something....why wouldn't you buy the 150? WAY more options.

And how could you even think forks from a different manufacturer could bolt right on?

And I don't give respect to some of the people on here because they don't deserve it. Some people need to be knocked down from the cloud they are floating on.

Your wrong. The 150 dioes not have way more options.

What is the obsession with wanting to change the suspension on the 230's? &%$#@! did you buy a trail bike if you wanted an MX bike?

You can polish a turd, but it's still a turd.

This is going to shock you but Yamaha and Honda use the same races and bearings for the stem across various models. Infact Showa forks are showa forks and in most cases the stem is the same size. Where it is not, just use a Honda triple clamp. There is no such thing as Yamaha forks. Showa 47mm forks are Showa 47mm forks regardless of brand and will fit all tripple clamps form all manufacturers that use Shows 47mm forks. Swapping fork "brand" is no harder than swapping forks within a brand going across models. :thumbsup:

CRF suspension is really bad, upgrading it is a fantastic way to get a hell of allot more performance out of the bike. Believe it or not, there is a ton of performance available between a CRF20r and A CRf230. It is not on or off. There are MANY shades of performance between the two. Not sure why you think the 150 has WAY more options unless you count all the engine options to make the 150 a 230.

There are actually trail bikes with inverted forks on th market. Additionally, you assume that new forks means motocross. The 250x and KLX models with inverted forks are not motocross forks. The XR200 of 10 years ago had way superior forks to the CRF230 today. The 230 forks are way below par. Attempting to upgrade them does not mean someone wants a motocross bike. That was YOUR verbiage and assumption.

It was a bad assumption. Your ignorance about the subject really shows as well as your age.

worxster, check my garage for a link to my post on upgrading suspension. Change the forks and you have to change the rear. You can also revalve and re-spring the showa inverted forks to be what ever you want. I did and it works superb.

Good lcuk!

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=23371

ebeck, Do you know any of the details on what they did when you had your forks shortened. I have mine apart and have an idea.

This is going to shock you but Yamaha and Honda use the same races and bearings for the stem across various models. Infact Showa forks are showa forks and in most cases the stem is the same size. Where it is not, just use a Honda triple clamp. There is no such thing as Yamaha forks. Showa 47mm forks are Showa 47mm forks regardless of brand and will fit all tripple clamps form all manufacturers that use Shows 47mm forks. Swapping fork "brand" is no harder than swapping forks within a brand going across models. :ride:

CRF suspension is really bad, upgrading it is a fantastic way to get a hell of allot more performance out of the bike. Believe it or not, there is a ton of performance available between a CRF20r and A CRf230. It is not on or off. There are MANY shades of performance between the two. Not sure why you think the 150 has WAY more options unless you count all the engine options to make the 150 a 230.

There are actually trail bikes with inverted forks on th market. Additionally, you assume that new forks means motocross. The 250x and KLX models with inverted forks are not motocross forks. The XR200 of 10 years ago had way superior forks to the CRF230 today. The 230 forks are way below par. Attempting to upgrade them does not mean someone wants a motocross bike. That was YOUR verbiage and assumption.

It was a bad assumption. Your ignorance about the subject really shows as well as your age.

worxster, check my garage for a link to my post on upgrading suspension. Change the forks and you have to change the rear. You can also revalve and re-spring the showa inverted forks to be what ever you want. I did and it works superb.

Good lcuk!

I wasn't aware that Yamaha used the Showa conventionals for their trail bikes. I thought they were all KYB.

Until knowing that they used the same bearing sizes (which meant sam head stem diameters), I was trying to figure out hou out of the blue you could expect it to work. There just seems there is a lot of "will a shock from a 1983 RM250 fit my CRF230?" posts around here. :applause:

I know people want to hop these up, but in most cases, you'd be much better off buying one of the X models. I know the maintanence requirements and costs are higer, but they are pretty much the same when you get your 230 clapped out and modded.

And as far as the X's go, it's a tuned down race bike. Not a completely different design, like the XR's (CRF's). They are extremely easy to bring up to near-R status. A revalve is all you need to bring the forks up to spec. Last I knew, they are the same forks that are on the R models.

To me, if your gonna mod them, do it right (like you obviously did). Cutting corners leads to problems. These bike were built for trail riding. Not moto. I moto mine, but I know what is available and I am saving up for the right parts (CR85 forks, Works Connection shock, ect.) And I am not on here bitching about it being slow, or soft. I knew it was when I bought it. I did what I could with the money I had and I ride it.

Thank you for the lesson, though. That will come in handy at work. :thumbsup:

Ebeck Thanx Bro

did all the mods to the 230 definately a major improvement

Totally diffenrent bike !!!:mad:

all thats left to do is a pipe think i will go procurcuit T4

Again Many Thanx:worthy:

Ebeck or Worxster, can you fill me in a bit on what was done and approx. pricing? I'm really thinking about buying one but the suspension is my main concern since while I like riding woods more, I have more opportunities to ride on the track. I'm trying to find out how much more $ I can anticipate spending on setting it up better.

Thanks a ton! :mad:

This is going to shock you but Yamaha and Honda use the same races and bearings for the stem across various models. Infact Showa forks are showa forks and in most cases the stem is the same size. Where it is not, just use a Honda triple clamp. There is no such thing as Yamaha forks. Showa 47mm forks are Showa 47mm forks regardless of brand and will fit all tripple clamps form all manufacturers that use Shows 47mm forks. Swapping fork "brand" is no harder than swapping forks within a brand going across models. :mad:

Good lcuk!

where is the link to your garage ?? i dont see it. thanks, scott

Ebeck, quit posting pictures of your bike, it just makes me drool! I've bookmarked your conversion threads for future reference this spring.

Dude!! That is a sick bike :mad:

How did you do the front on that? What triple clamps and what forks.....

Ebeck or Worxster, can you fill me in a bit on what was done and approx. pricing? I'm really thinking about buying one but the suspension is my main concern since while I like riding woods more, I have more opportunities to ride on the track. I'm trying to find out how much more $ I can anticipate spending on setting it up better.

Thanks a ton! :mad:

Yo

The best man to ask regarding cost would be EBECK- With out doubt the ultimate CRF230 MOD MASTER Most of my hop up options have come at no cost have had a couple good friends assisting me with the project except for bars & T4 pipe that i had to purchase the mod is well worth doing though if you box clever you can get it done affordably

dont quote me on this but im pretty sure that ebeck did the conversion and more all for alot less than a brand new 250x...