Sign in to follow this  

Idiot question.

All I'm trying to do is remove my fork caps so I can check the level and possiby change the oil in my forks. For some reason it doesn't screw all the way off? I got to a certain point where it just makes a clicking noise every turn. I know I'm not doing something right, and I looked in the manual but its hard to understand. :ride:

:thumbsup:

Even tho the cap is free from the fork tube, the cap is still screwed to the damper rod. Sounds like you still have the fork tubes in the triple clamps. You either have to drop the forks out of the triple clamps so the tubes can be compressed and expose the damper rod or you need to remove the front wheel, put the axle in by itsself and use a tiedown between the axle and handlebars to help you compress the front forks and hold them compressed to expose the damper rod.

That click you're hearing is the starter thread of the cap coming back around to the starter thread in the fork tube.

With your bike still on a stand (and both caps loose) just grab the rear wheel and lift. As you do this the caps will come up out of the forks and you will be able to let the bike kinda sit on its nose as sits on the stand. You can then take the caps off the rod, lift the springs out and measure the oil ht.

doc

what do you use to measure the oil height and what more do you do to change your oil or do you just turn them upside down and compress the forks until oil stops coming out??