Sign in to follow this  

Slime

Does anybody out there run slime in their tubes?? If so, does it really work?? I bought it for my DRZ but haven't put it in the tubes yet. Also, is it possible just to carry it with you and install it when your tire starts to go down and add air and hope to make it back to the truck. Whats your thoughts or experience. Thanks..

I've used slime in my bicycle tires. Many times I have walked by my bike a day or more after my last ride and found the tire flat from a staple, thorn or other item in the tread that I didn't even know about when it happened. Most of the time I am able to simply pull out the staple, pump up the tire, spin it to get the slime over the hole and it's good to go.

There are times when a large nail or other item will cause a blow out, so you still should carry tools to fix a flat if you are going to be out in the boonies.

How would it work on a motorcycle? I haven't tried it, though I may on my next set of tires/tubes.

I ran it in my previous set of tubes and never got a flat. it is annoying when it clogs your valve stem, but pulling the stem out and cleaning it is easy.

I've run it in my Mt Bikes since it came out and in that application its always worked great.

The first few weeks of riding my drz and my wife riding her crf100 we both went through 2 rear tubes due to flats. I decided to try the slime out after the last set of flats and havent gotten a flat yet on either bike and its been over 4 months of riding the same terrain in the same spots etc. I've pulled a few stray nails, large staples and a LOT of cactus out of the tires of both bikes and no flats.

Does it work? Sure does... Just make sure to get the straight green stuff, not the one with the "bits" in it...

It works for thorns, nails, etc. It does not work for pinch flats. As far as carring it with you...why, just squirt it in and you wont even know it's there.

Well, there you have the opinions. I do not use it. I do not believe in it. And it makes a hellofamess in the tire when you do get a flat and need to repair it. Patches will not adhere. I think it has application for catius thorns. I do not get many flats and the ones I do get, Slime would not help.

When letting air out, you should put your valve stem at 08:00 or 05:00 o clock, otherwhise it will block your valve stem, even when the valve is not in it! I had to remove it with a drill!

I know about the mess it makes when you have a 'snake bite' because you bounced of a big rock: it will not prevent any leaks on the inside of the tubes as the G forces continuously presses the green slime towards the outer tube.

I always carry a 19" spare tube on my front fender, which will fit both the front and the rear tyre.

I have driven for two years with slime, only one flat, but due to a tyre change I had no slime in it any more. Hurried to the shop to buy me a bottle :thumbsup:

Noppy

We use a similar product..True Goo..Goo

No flats, with the valve high it doesnt come out when deflating. For awhile I carried a can of fix a flat type stuff. The AZ heat got it and it blew up. That was a mess.

Well, there you have the opinions. I do not use it. I do not believe in it. And it makes a hellofamess in the tire when you do get a flat and need to repair it. Patches will not adhere. I think it has application for catius thorns. I do not get many flats and the ones I do get, Slime would not help.

+1

I tried it for awhile,,, just in the hopes of staving offpinch flats. The thinking was, it was slippery stuff,and would allow the tube to not pinch flat as easily. As far as I could tell, it never helped. I have no more or less flats now then I did when using it.