Sign in to follow this  

What is high milage for a DR 650?

I would like to find out the life span of the 96-07 DR 650. Please tell me how many miles you have on your bikes, and what kind of maintenance needed to get there. I love my 98 and ride it every day. I have put 5000 miles on it this summer, and the bike has 10,000 total miles. I am pretty mechanical and have a good shop and intend on maintaining the bike myself. I have been lurking on this forum for quite a while, and have learned lots of good stuff. but I haven't seen any thing much about how long they will last. Who has the highest mileage DR?

I have about 9500 miles on my 04. Just oil changes, airfilter cleaning, and chain lube/adjustments. I'm looking into learning how to adjust the valves. I used to do it on my old BMWs, but I don't want to screw up my DR.

I've got 10,500 and besides modding the snot out of it to get more power and general oil change like maintanance, no problems. And she's a 96.

A friend of mine put 98,000klm on his '98 dr650 before selling it! He changed the oil every 5k kilometers and checked/ adjusted tappets every 10,000klm. Mobil 1 10w40 fully synthetic car oil is what he swears by!

I have 34000km (about 21000 miles) on my 1997 DR.

I had to change the base gasket last winter and when they checked the engine then nothing had to be replaced, it was in very good condition.

/K

I have 29,500 miles on my '04 DR650, it's been to Alaska and back from Texas and is a daily driver/commuter now. No problems at all. I've done chain & sprockets once and replaced the headlight bulb, other than that it's gas and oil only. It's an anvil. I think it's gonna go a lot further, runs perfectly even at 29k.

my 05 only has 5k, but one of the reasons I bought a DR is because I'm a mechanic at a Suzuki dealer. We have never, i repeat, never rebuilt a DR engine because it wore out. And I'm not an fng, been there 24 years.

my 05 only has 5k, but one of the reasons I bought a DR is because I'm a mechanic at a Suzuki dealer. We have never, i repeat, never rebuilt a DR engine because it wore out. And I'm not an fng, been there 24 years.

I agree with this statement - they never come into the dealership for engine work - we've seen worn brake rotors, chain and sprockets, etc.....but not for engine probs.....and then there is mine - which leaked oil at 1200 miles - no worries though, replaced the gasket with the new updated base gasket and ported the head while it was apart. I hope to run it until it dies - and then rebuild it cheaply....and run it to death again

30,000 km on my 06 DR 650 so far.

Frequent oil changes and parts upgrades keep her looking young.

25,000 on my new to me 1996. It has some issues, but runs great for the most part.

I agree with this statement - they never come into the dealership for engine work - we've seen worn brake rotors, chain and sprockets, etc.....but not for engine probs.....and then there is mine - which leaked oil at 1200 miles - no worries though, replaced the gasket with the new updated base gasket and ported the head while it was apart. I hope to run it until it dies - and then rebuild it cheaply....and run it to death again

I would guess that for what it costs to rebuild DR, you could almost buy another one. I'm sure you've never seen a rebuild for many other reasons. This topic gets posted periodically, there was one guy who said he had around 80+K on his engine when the oil pump gear gave out and the engine toasted. The DR engine seems pretty bullet proof. Nikasil cylinders keep cylinder wear down. Also, most people don't put tons of miles on their bikes. If you posted these mileage numbers in some BMW forums, they'd laugh at you. A lot of those guys think that 20000 miles is about when the bike is starting to break in.

Since the speed-o cable and my 93 DR650S parted ways a long time ago, I have to guess. I just go as fast as everyone else.

But I will tell you it read 11,000 miles in 95.

I know how much I rode this bike, it was my primary means of transpo for many years having two jobs.

I am currently re-building her.

I would say well over 50,000 miles, probably more like 60,000.

I abused the crap out of this bike. Periodic maintenance and oil changes.

One clutch, one set of brake pads, many tires, no leaks, nothing breaks.(except that damn clutch lever)

I call it a two wheel John Deere.

85,000kms on mine, its a 94, very similar but different to the 96- bikes. The hardening wore off some of the gears in the box around 75,000. Im not kind to my bike and flog it to death, although it hasnt let me down yet. Replaced the clutch two times in the past 18 months, not due to faulty parts, just abuse.

another thing to consider is WHERE the bike was ridden. 50,000k's on almost nothing but road is nothing fancy but 50,000k's of solid dirt would be a lot, the equivelant of about 3-4x that in road distance maybe more. I've put 20,000km on mine and have owned it a little over a year. Bought it with 2400km on te clock so yep it gets ridden a lot and always wide open throttle till I hit the speed limit, or a little over, or a lot over, or maxing it out. Still feels brilliant. I checked and adjusted the valves at 19,000k's and they were out of spec by quite a bit actually. Intake were 0.18 and I think the exhaust valves were the same and probably been that way for quite some time. Any 'modern day' bike would have grenaded by now but mine didn't even care. No ticking, no rattle, not even hard to start. Hell not even the chain or sprockets need replacing yet and they are still the original set. If mine ever does blow up i'll just buy a 96 model, transplant the engine into mine and keep riding. Piss easy

I would guess that for what it costs to rebuild DR, you could almost buy another one. I'm sure you've never seen a rebuild for many other reasons. This topic gets posted periodically, there was one guy who said he had around 80+K on his engine when the oil pump gear gave out and the engine toasted. The DR engine seems pretty bullet proof. Nikasil cylinders keep cylinder wear down. Also, most people don't put tons of miles on their bikes. If you posted these mileage numbers in some BMW forums, they'd laugh at you. A lot of those guys think that 2000 miles is about when the FINAL DRIVE is starting to break.

Fixed it for ya.:ride:

2001 model 29502 miles and no problems. street riden only, k&n filter, dyno jet kit, super crap exhaust, street motarded up. ridden daily to work. oil change every 2500 miles. the head gasket just started leaking a little oil. plan on fixing it this winter. it uses absolutely no oil. gets 45-55 mpg and is what i call my tank!!!!