Sign in to follow this  

Front forks

Hi i was wondering if a pair of usd front forks from a cr 250 would fit my xr600r,or could they be made to fit,what mods would i have to do.

i would be most gratfull for your advice,

..........jeff

I would just take the front end off of a CR or CRX. Wheel, hubs, spacers, caliper, rotor, triples and start with that. This may do it, or you may have to get a custom triple stem made up. I'm sure a CRX speedo gear would fit within a CR assembly if you still need to maintain that.

Call a company such as RG3 and see if they know what the difference is between the framing on the XR and CR. Beyond this, I think everything else should work.

Yes, it can be done. I did it with my XR440 I used a 04 CRF250 front end. You will need the entire front end wheel brakes triples etc. The majority of the work was in machining the CRF steering stem to fit the XR steering stem bearings on it and re-threading the upper portion of the stem to accept the XR hardware. Then you will need a bushing pressed into the upper triple to size it down to the new thread size. It really was pretty simple and was an awesome upgrade to the XR when finished. I added Air Cells to top it off and it really brought the Xr into the 21st century.

100_4443.jpg

Yes, it can be done. I did it with my XR440 I used a 04 CRF250 front end. You will need the entire front end wheel brakes triples etc. The majority of the work was in machining the CRF steering stem to fit the XR steering stem bearings on it and re-threading the upper portion of the stem to accept the XR hardware. Then you will need a bushing pressed into the upper triple to size it down to the new thread size. It really was pretty simple and was an awesome upgrade to the XR when finished. I added Air Cells to top it off and it really brought the Xr into the 21st century.

100_4443.jpg

So what did you think of the ride afterwards?

Night and day difference I really enjoy it now. Rides like a cadillac, I had forks re-valved by Factory Connection for enduro use (I like them soft). The front end really soaks up the braking bumps and chop much better. The rear Showa has been worked over by Race Tech, but it could have more adjustment. I think it will only get better when my new Ohlins shock arrives.

cheers,i think that is the way i will go,it will finish my bike of with usd forks

there is a compleat front end and frame on ebay.going to make the guy an offer,now i know they will fit with bit of work. :thumbsup: cheers guys

Just got away from looking at your xr440,that bike is the business,if i can get my xr600 looking something like that i would be over the moon.take care of that babe.and thanks for your help

If I can be of any help to you when you get into the project feel free to P.M. me with any questions I would be happy to help out a fellow TT'er.