Sign in to follow this  

I F'ed Up...:(

so i finally get my brake light switch in. anyone here who has read about my wiring skillzzzzz knows im "da man"

so me in my infinate wisdom and all knowing electrical god like abilities, goes to work.

im using an acerbis LED tailight set up for a brake light switch. (3 wires)

and a CRF's only brake light switch.

so i throw the banjo fitting on form the switch.

put the diff. tailight on the fender.

an then i start to go to work.

i assumed i needed to connect one of the wires form the switch, to the power on the tailight, then to the power wire in the bike. 3 together. then the yellow to the other on the switch. then the black to the ground on the bike.

well....i get a small spark, then no electric start.

what did i screw up?? what do i do to fix it??

You probably blew the fuse under the right side panel. you need to run 1 wire from the light to - or ground and then from positive to one of the brake switch wires, then the other brake switch wire to + on the the light. At least that would be typical. The switch will complete the circuit when you apply the brakes.

did you use the wiring diagram I sent you? I had no problems with mine. 3 wire brake light and CRF's Only switch. The switch is there to interrupt the current to the brake light until you press the brake pedal, then it lets the current thru and the brake light comes on. The "other" light wires straight to the power so it comes on when the engine starts, and of course the ground is the ground.

Sounds like you mixed power with ground, thus the spark, and hopefully just a blown fuse.

ok, so replace fuse.

then joe, heres the dizzy....lol.

theres 2 black from the switch. a red,black,yellow from the light. and a black and a gray on the bike. which ones go where if you can...i swear, talk to me like a 2 year old about electrical man..i suck at it. lol. thanks for any help

and thanks guys for the other info

switched the fuse with the spare, and it was just the fuse.

and i found this much out,

the reb wire on the tailight, to the black wuire on the bike, and the black wire on the tailight, to the gray wire on the bike, makes the light come on. but that leaves the yellow on the light, and the 2 wires from the switch.

also, i screwed my brakes up switching the nut the first time and had to bleed my brakes. is there a way i can switch the bolt WITHOUT having to bleed my brakes again??

As soon as you take the banjo bolt out air is allowed to enter your brake system so you will have to rebleed your brakes...I think ohwell doesnt matter very quick easy process

the yellow wire on the tail light would be the barke light. Connect it to one of the leads from trh switch. The other lead from the switch, connect it to the 12v source.

The 12v comes tothe brak light switch then sopt there until the switch closes (you press the brake pedal) then it continues to the yellow wire an lights the brake light, Whe you take your foot off the pedal, the switch opens back up and th ebrake light goes out. It's simple!

oh ok, so yellow to switch, and one wire from switch to the bikes battery system.

thanks alot man. :thumbsup::D i will do it when i get home today, i gotta go to school n a few.

thanks again.

if by study hard you mean flip through magazines behind all my books, im waaaaay ahead of ya.