Sign in to follow this  

just got back...

from my wifes cousins. he just bought a yzf250 a little over a month ago. he called me up a little while ago and said "i was riding today and my bike just shut off and i can't get it started. i cleaned the air filter last night. do you think that could be it". so off i go to try and help. on the way thinking "too much oil on filter, now i have to clean a carb :applause::thumbsup: ". so i get there and walk over to the bike. for some reason i decided to check his air filter first. pulled off the side panel and there was no air filter :ride: . i ask "where is your filter". he replies "it's right there, don't you see it?" he came over and looked and slap himself in the forehead when he realized it was not in there. he ran into the shed and came out with the filter. i pushed down on the kick start with my finger. so it is at least a top end. i just shook my head and said "call me tomorrow" and left. it's his first bike, and he seemed so excited to do self maintenance, but WOW, forget your air filter. he left it out over night for the oil to dry and jumped on his bike and took off today. he is a 30 yo auto mechanic. :applause:

Oh man that sucks. Seems like most of the new motocross bikes become more and more fragile to simple things like this. Just like flooding the motor by twisting the throttle with it off. Oh well, just one more reason to by used bikes instead of new ones. I'll keep the 'ol 426 till I cant keep it running or the frame snaps. Hope you have good luck.

so it doesnt run??

i'm not sure, i didn't try to start it. he said he could not get it started.

lol my uncle did that as a kid. They traded 2 horses for a yamaha 250 and a harley, well my uncle took the yami down the road with no filter and seized it up

hey it happens to the best of us I feel bad for him sounds kinda like me when I get excited about something I forget stuff like that to

I'm not convinced that riding it without an air filter for a while is the cause of it not running. Sure, running without the filter could have caused some damage to moving parts, but his engine would have had to have ingested an awfully big piece of debris to cause enough damage for it to break and not run. I'd do an ignition and carburetion troubleshoot before I concluded internal damage from the lack of an air cleaner. As long as the engine has compression,( pull the plug, put your thumb over the plug hole and have your cousin kick it over by hand, if it feels like the motor wants to suck your thumgb in and then blows your thumb off the hole as the piston moves, there's plenty of compression to run), I'd bet that it's more likely his carb ingested some small pieces of debris that clogged some essential passages or airways in the carb. It may be something even more basic like a clogged fuel cap vent, or a blown fuse or circuit breaker. Is there gas in the tank? Did he run it so low that he needed to switch to reserve? If your cousin is lucky, changing the oil and oil filter, cleaning the carb, and installing the air filter may undo the no air filter mistake. Good luck.

from my wifes cousins. he just bought a yzf250 a little over a month ago. he called me up a little while ago and said "i was riding today and my bike just shut off and i can't get it started. i cleaned the air filter last night. do you think that could be it". so off i go to try and help. on the way thinking "too much oil on filter, now i have to clean a carb :applause::thumbsup: ". so i get there and walk over to the bike. for some reason i decided to check his air filter first. pulled off the side panel and there was no air filter :ride: . i ask "where is your filter". he replies "it's right there, don't you see it?" he came over and looked and slap himself in the forehead when he realized it was not in there. he ran into the shed and came out with the filter. i pushed down on the kick start with my finger. so it is at least a top end. i just shook my head and said "call me tomorrow" and left. it's his first bike, and he seemed so excited to do self maintenance, but WOW, forget your air filter. he left it out over night for the oil to dry and jumped on his bike and took off today. he is a 30 yo auto mechanic. :applause:

That sucks dude! How in the hell do you forget to put an air filter back on? Why put the seat back on at all with no air filter? I feel for him and hope he was not drinking or something that night. That is a good bike!!! :applause:

I'm not convinced that riding it without an air filter for a while is the cause of it not running. Sure, running without the filter could have caused some damage to moving parts, but his engine would have had to have ingested an awfully big piece of debris to cause enough damage for it to break and not run.

That`s exactly what i tought too. Unless he had rode his bike before on dusty conditions without the filter on and these was the second time he wanted to start it up.

But some one here said that running the bike without an air filter casues he motor to seize... how so?

Seems like most of the new motocross bikes become more and more fragile to simple things like this. Just like flooding the motor by twisting the throttle with it off.

I dont understand how that is related. Could you explain a little more?

I'm not convinced that riding it without an air filter for a while is the cause of it not running. Sure, running without the filter could have caused some damage to moving parts, but his engine would have had to have ingested an awfully big piece of debris to cause enough damage for it to break and not run. I'd do an ignition and carburetion troubleshoot before I concluded internal damage from the lack of an air cleaner. As long as the engine has compression,( pull the plug, put your thumb over the plug hole and have your cousin kick it over by hand, if it feels like the motor wants to suck your thumgb in and then blows your thumb off the hole as the piston moves, there's plenty of compression to run), I'd bet that it's more likely his carb ingested some small pieces of debris that clogged some essential passages or airways in the carb. It may be something even more basic like a clogged fuel cap vent, or a blown fuse or circuit breaker. Is there gas in the tank? Did he run it so low that he needed to switch to reserve? If your cousin is lucky, changing the oil and oil filter, cleaning the carb, and installing the air filter may undo the no air filter mistake. Good luck.

first off, i understand that it could be many things. we are going to tear it apart today. in my original post i stated that i could push the kick start down with my finger. that is with the spark plug in, and tells me that there is no compression. maybe i am wrong about this. i was going to start with the carb and go from there. he may not have told me the whole story last night. i am sure he felt pretty stupid as it was. i didn't stick around very long last night. once i saw the filter was not in there, i left. i am sure through the course of the day i will get more info from him.

:ride:

And when they ask you why there is dirt in the engine? :applause:

Well since they are called dirt bikes. I tought they ran on dirt as fuel.

:thumbsup:

:ride:

And when they ask you why there is dirt in the engine? :applause:

poor quality control at the factory??? :thumbsup:

I hear of things happen like this...How about forgetting to put your drain plug on before adding oil..Forgetting to put the sparkplug cap on..and then spend 4 hours trying to figure out whats wrong..dropping piston circlip in the engine..Forgetting to check air pressure before riding..getting out there to find you have a flat..

When I work on my bike I dont hurry...move slowly and Methodically checking everything as you go..Shit like this happens when your impatient and hurry..

I hear of things happen like this...How about forgetting to put your drain plug on before adding oil..Forgetting to put the sparkplug cap on..and then spend 4 hours trying to figure out whats wrong..dropping piston circlip in the engine..Forgetting to check air pressure before riding..getting out there to find you have a flat..

When I work on my bike I dont hurry...move slowly and Methodically checking everything as you go..Shit like this happens when your impatient and hurry..

I call that bullshit how could anyone be so dumb as to forget those things.

It`s almost as dumb as closing the fuel when your bike falls or you kill it and forgetting to turn it open, then stoping a few feet away and kick it over like 15 times before realizing that the fuel was closed.

How about that thing happening 2 or more times per ride?

Hw about that being happening constantly for over six months.

:thumbsup:

No, it àin`t me I`m talkibng about is a "friend`s friend".

How in the hell do you forget to put an air filter back on? Why put the seat back on at all with no air filter? :thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly, who the hell puts their bike back together w/out putting all the parts back in/on. What reason could anyone have for putting your seat on w/ out installing the air filter :ride::applause::applause::applause::applause: