Sign in to follow this  

The Facts:crf450 vs crf250 what do you think?

I have ridden 450s since they came out. I have my own track that is very similar to millville Mn. only a little shorter, big hills and big whoops. After thousands of laps on my 450 i finally got a 250f out there.

Here are the results, after only 10 practice laps on the 250 i turned 1:39 lap times 3 laps in a row. on a bone stock 06 with half wore out tires. Then i jumped on the 450, which is totally tricked out with thousands in upgrades and turned several 1:38, with half wore out tires. My question is with a little work on the 250f could i ride it faster for a longer period of time? by the way at the end of a moto on the 450 i am very tired.

my impression would be to go with a 250f, even with big hills the 250 gets out of the corner so much faster the little you lose on the hill it makes up for it on the corner. also i should note i only weigh 160 lbs that would make a difference in some comparisions. and in the whoops there is no comparision, the 250f flys over them. the only thing you give up is when you have a big jump right out of the corner, sometimes the 250 might have trouble.

I swapped from 450 to 250 permanently. i had the same outcome as you. the only thing i have problems with just like you is large hills and bigger jumps out of corners. the place i have found the most disadvantage is budds creek. but like you said a little more mods and i think i can overcome the difference on hills but not jumps. just my .02

are you still happy with the decision, do you get less tired at the end of a moto on the 250f?????

I dont regret it at all but i will say i am looking forward in a year or two to step back up to the 450. The only way i will do that is if i think i can ride it like silk. So it doesnt beat me down. but that is only for racing. But even then i will never ever give up my 250. i will mod it to death. its an 05 but i dont care. If i run short on power after every bolt-on(high comp piston, cam, exhaust, etc) a big bore is right around the corner. My technique has improved greatly. my confidence to push closer to the edge is unbelieveable. i dont hit as big of jumps as i did on my 450 but those are out of corners and uphill. The best way to figure it out is to go to your favorite track or the track you ride the most and try both if you can. Pound out a couple double motos and make the choice. Thats not how i chose but i wish it was. i guess i just got lucky.

I just went from an '06 CRF450R to an '05 CRF250R and am happier than i've ever been.... i found with every ride that i could go faster and faster on the 250 as i started to leave my 450 riding techniques behind...

try it for a while, you can always go back to a 450, but nothing corners like a 250 :thumbsup:

450's for the boys with the fully developed "nads"

Not much else to say on this topic.

I've gone from 450 to 250 back to 450. I spent too much money to make my 250 fast and in the end I decided to go back to the 450 and ride it smooth (slow Down to go fast :thumbsup: ). I am also too heavy for a 250 so that didn't help. It sounds like you want to try the 250 route so do it. I have seen many make this switch and many have gone back to the 450 (but not all).

My 06 450 handles like a bicycle thru corners so i don't see how a 250f could be that much better. I weigh 175lbs so that could be one factor.

450 is the buisness. Mine does nearly all I want it to but I'm on the cusp of bumping it up to a 500 or 550. If you like to zing around the trak and are not strong enough for a 450 then get a 250. This is the same debate from 125 cc two-strokes vs. 250 cc two-stroke. Get what you can handle and like. This is the best obsvervation on this subject I've learned in life, "most people don't like what they are not good at or makes them work harder" Get the 250 dude and stop crying.

No offense intended,

Have fun.

I went from 450 to 250 back to 450. The 250 had a 270 kit, pro circuit head, cam, and pipe. It was fun to ride but I ride vet and it didn't have enough for the 450's. I never got a holeshot on the 250, and no matter how much faster it was in the corners if you go into the corner behind a 450, even if you can get beside them, the 450 would out pull it coming out of the corner. I think having the 250 makes me ride my 450 better, I ride it more agressive like it is a 250, and I don't have to close my eyes and pray on big jumps coming out of corners anymore.

I went from 450 to 250 back to 450. The 250 had a 270 kit, pro circuit head, cam, and pipe. It was fun to ride but I ride vet and it didn't have enough for the 450's. I never got a holeshot on the 250, and no matter how much faster it was in the corners if you go into the corner behind a 450, even if you can get beside them, the 450 would out pull it coming out of the corner. I think having the 250 makes me ride my 450 better, I ride it more agressive like it is a 250, and I don't have to close my eyes and pray on big jumps coming out of corners anymore.

i ride the 250f faster after riding the 450 for a little while

I think is depends on your weight and the type of riding you do. If it's strickly track bike, than go for the 250. But if you go trail riding once in awhile and have to do hill climbs, then go for the 450F.

I have ridden 450s since they came out. I have my own track that is very similar to millville Mn. only a little shorter, big hills and big whoops. After thousands of laps on my 450 i finally got a 250f out there.

Here are the results, after only 10 practice laps on the 250 i turned 1:39 lap times 3 laps in a row. on a bone stock 06 with half wore out tires. Then i jumped on the 450, which is totally tricked out with thousands in upgrades and turned several 1:38, with half wore out tires. My question is with a little work on the 250f could i ride it faster for a longer period of time? by the way at the end of a moto on the 450 i am very tired.

my impression would be to go with a 250f, even with big hills the 250 gets out of the corner so much faster the little you lose on the hill it makes up for it on the corner. also i should note i only weigh 160 lbs that would make a difference in some comparisions. and in the whoops there is no comparision, the 250f flys over them. the only thing you give up is when you have a big jump right out of the corner, sometimes the 250 might have trouble.

I think you need to answer two questions. 1. Which bike do you most enjoy riding. 2. How much do you want to spend. With the 250 you are going to turn more R's to get the performance you want, so operating costs will likely be higher.

450 is the buisness. Mine does nearly all I want it to but I'm on the cusp of bumping it up to a 500 or 550. If you like to zing around the trak and are not strong enough for a 450 then get a 250. This is the same debate from 125 cc two-strokes vs. 250 cc two-stroke. Get what you can handle and like. This is the best obsvervation on this subject I've learned in life, "most people don't like what they are not good at or makes them work harder" Get the 250 dude and stop crying.

No offense intended,

Have fun.

I would love to see you try and work a overbored 450 on some of the rough tracks i ride or in the millville whoops. If 450s are always better than why does most of the 250f pro class have better lap times than most of the 450f riders???

ive never rode a 250f before... maybe some day. till then it will be my 450 all the way!!