Sign in to follow this  

Suspension springs swap out: Did it! But questions...

Part II of my saga: putting 450 stock springs all around my 250R.

Shock spring easy. Done

Dissambled forks tonight. Man I highly recommend the Motopowervideo fork video - allowed me to get thru it step by step in 30 minutes tops. I feel so bloody cool now. Telling everyone, "Yea, I diassemble the forks tonight..." :thumbsup:

Anyway, a few questions :

1) Since I am just swapping springs, now that I have the fork damperassembly /piston rod assembly all out and all the oil drained, is there any need to go any farther and dissamble the fork cap assembly? Im thinking not.

2) Also, When put the fork damper assembly in a vice (with hard plastic vice jaws) they did make a mark rubbing some of the bronze poweder coating off. No dents, just coaiting rubbed off. Of any concern or is that just cosmetic?

3) What parts should I replace as standard maintenance. I was thinking just the seal parts: Dust seal, stopper ring, oil seal, back up ring and maybe guide bushing. Or maybe just the seals.

4) Since only the tension of the spring is different, I presume I should stick with same amount of fork oil (staying with stock 10W)

I would say you should definitely change the bushing if you do all the other stuff. I've seen that come back and haunt quite a few people.

I'd also like to say you are a very brave man Slinger taking this project on. If I were to attempt what you are doing I know that I would be over analyzing EVERYTHING about the suspension everytime I rode the bike from this point on. That stuff drives me crazy!

I would say you should definitely change the bushing if you do all the other stuff. I've seen that come back and haunt quite a few people.

I'd also like to say you are a very brave man Slinger taking this project on. If I were to attempt what you are doing I know that I would be over analyzing EVERYTHING about the suspension everytime I rode the bike from this point on. That stuff drives me crazy!

I tell you what, not to sound affiliated or anything, but the Motopowervideo video on forks dissambly and repair is worth ever cent! No way was I going into the forks until I saw the video. It is soooo detailed and step by step (on my specific fork) that it was easy. I watched it thru once. Then put the portable DVD player on work bench and followed him step by step. Watch the first step, pushed pause, did it. Watched next step, pause, did, etc. It was supriignly easy (like most things once you try it).

The rear shock was easy, esp because the number of times I had to work on carb that required taking the damn shock out first made the really easy. I think all toal, using video, I had both forks dissabled in 30 minutes. I will keep everyone psoted.

I tell you what, not to sound affiliated or anything, but the Motopowervideo video on forks dissambly and repair is worth ever cent! No way was I going into the forks until I saw the video. It is soooo detailed and step by step (on my specific fork) that it was easy. I watched it thru once. Then put the portable DVD player on work bench and followed him step by step. Watch the first step, pushed pause, did it. Watched next step, pause, did, etc. It was supriignly easy (like most things once you try it)..

haha i did mine by my manual, damn i was nervous, but ended up taking 3 hours for both forks

haha i did mine by my manual, damn i was nervous, but ended up taking 3 hours for both forks

Manual assumes certain things and forgets to mention a couple little steps and tips. Again, nothing like seeing it done closeup (on your specific shock). I feel like a mechanic god now :thumbsup: