Dr Mark Can i ride...

Dr. Mark this xray was taken July 31 and i go back the 12 of sept and i was told not to do anthing till then. I had the plate put in the 16 Jun. I want to ride real bad. I feel great I have back to work and all would it be ok for me to do some light riding. collarplate1.jpg

Also the other view collarplate2.jpg

Bruce Greenwood (a relatively famous actor, he played the "bad guy" in I, Robot, also one of the judges in World's Fastest Indian) broke his leg. Cast comes off, and he starts riding right away. Falls. Nastier break than before: 8 months out.

Sure you don't want to wait a bit?

I personally have not ridden since my shoulder was pretty much healed, but not totally, and I started PT, which was around May. Ok, Arizona summer happened, but I feel better waiting a bit longer.

Now you do what you want.

Any riding is fine, if you don't fall. Post a copy of the Septemnber X-ray. Maybe then it will be totally healed.

"...if you don't fall.." Key advice there. Your coordination and balance is related to your flexibility, range of motion and strength that is wired into your brain before the injury. So it would be safer to ride when you have achieved a reasonable amount of pre-injury strength and flexibility on that injured side. Ride Safe. ?

You brought a very good point.

For example, one of our brother riders, screen name Biznet, came to Houston to have both knees operated on. He rehabed like a Marine and was riding by eight weeks. Unforturnatley while he rehabbed the knees, his MX reflexes deteriorated, and he ended up on a helicopter ride to a hospital.

The moral of the story is, that if you have been off for a while, return to riding like you were a newbie, rather than the seasoned rider that you were.

It will only take a short time, maybe only a weekend or two, to get your skills back, but don't rush it.

I personally used the "off time", where the bone is healed but still brittle, to hit the gym and try to get in a better shape than I was even before the fall. In my case, I got tired and sat for a couple seconds while going at over 45mph on an unknown trail and hit a stupid tiny little jump that made me go OTB at landing. Had I been in a better shape, I would almost certainly have been more endurant that day and gone over that jump like I did 10,000+ of them before.

A serious weight and cardio training can only benefit you when you get back on the seat.

I personally used the "off time", where the bone is healed but still brittle, to hit the gym and try to get in a better shape than I was even before the fall. In my case, I got tired and sat for a couple seconds while going at over 45mph on an unknown trail and hit a stupid tiny little jump that made me go OTB at landing. Had I been in a better shape, I would almost certainly have been more endurant that day and gone over that jump like I did 10,000+ of them before.

A serious weight and cardio training can only benefit you when you get back on the seat.

This hits me perfectly and exactly why I crashed. My cardio coming back into riding was not what it should have been. I was tired and it happened.

Of course a smart person would have stopped riding when they noticed they were tired but not me!!!

i went out riding this weekend...just to get a feel for my new bike and see were i sit with it. I was just out in a big flat farm field i got it up to some high speeds and decided i need stablizer so i ordered that...other than that i felt good but i know for sure i need at least a good 3-4 weeks in the gym hard before i even think about going out for a "day" of riding for i only rode about 45 min just trying to get a feel and break the new bike a bit. The rush is still there but i do know i do not have any desiere to get back on a MX track ever again as of now after 2 broken collar bones and 2 sugries in 1 1/2 years...i dont even want to get back on one..i putted on one this weekend and did not even want to be out there witch suprised me but oh well i will just stick to my hare scambles!!! Thanks for the Advice everyone.