Sign in to follow this  

This sucks!!

So I bought a bike and it had low end bog. Semi fixed that. Now I bought another bike, and at/near wot the engine sputters, coughs, and doesn't transmit power to the rear wheel. Engine pulls REAL strong on the low end though.

Am I correct in assuming this is fixed by changing the main jet? If I understand, the bike is to rich and needs a smaller main. It had a 160, I just put a 155 in and will try it out tomorrow or so. Should I think of anything else before jumping straight to the main jet? :ride::thumbsup:

1996 xr400, all stock. Well, the previous owner said something about the carb being "updated to 1998 specs" or something like that. I pulled the bowl off last night and there was a round plastic piece sitting in the bottom. Apparently it slips over the main jet. I pushed it back on, we'll see if it works. Switched it from a 160 to a 155 main, but haven't ridden it yet. How do you know if the engine is getting too much gas or not enough when it sputters at wot? I can't tell the difference...

problem solved. The bike didn't like the 160 main, and the 155 was a little better. 150 was the magic number. I have no idea about the needle/clip position though, low end was fine. Amazing what a little trial and error can do!