Sign in to follow this  

Too Berg or not

Really close to buying an 06 450e , but I can get a great deal on a 06 KTM 525 set up and ready to go . Ride mostly hills and single track . Will the 525 be to much ? I'am 5'11 and 180 pounds . I have ridden the 525 but not a berg ? Coming off a xr 400... THANKS TO ALL. :thumbsup:

Berg! I've ridden the 525 KTM and it feels heavier and has much more flywheel effect. Husaberg Rocks! :thumbsup:

I have a FE450 and FE550 and I have rode many KTM 520/525s. The FE450 is definately the most fun on tight trails of the bunch. Put the 13T sproket on the front and it will climb any hill. Besides the Berg will get you noticed in the sea of Orange.

buy the Berg,slice and dice thru those trees and when you need spare parts they will be right here in stock!no ordering and waiting for two weeks!dan

go with the berg. Much lighter feeling, rips the single track, flys in the open. All I've done is change the gearing. No need to modify! Buy the fan if you ride slow trails with lots of clutching. I just learned to ride faster! :thumbsup:

The KTM exc525 is a very good bike, I like them alot. Husaberg's passion is enduro, and it shows, nothing outhandles a Husaberg (I ride an '06 Husaberg 496 (a sleeved down 550)).

Thank you Dan and everyone else , I know what I must do !! :ride: I'll be talking to you VERY SOON Dan !! :thumbsup:

the Husaberg FE450e is electric feel smooth powerband sweet riding bike surprizingly feels like what a modern XR400/450 would be.

That KTM 525exc is a tank. Go Berg I know, I own one.

the husaberg is a great bike no question , they must be well looked after or you have big problems .

This is not a fair statement.

Any Berg 04 and up has very few problems. As with any race bike you need to maintain it, oil changes and valve checks which take less than 1/2 hour.

I have only trail ridden mine and have not needed to adjust the valves more than once with 5000k and 100 hours. I have had the water pump seal replaced under warranty once, that's it.

I have 2 friends with Gasgas fse450's and they have had nothing but trouble with the FI, does that make all GG bikes bad?

I think not.

the husaberg is a great bike , my comment is based on experience .

husabergs must be strictly maintained , oil changes every 2nd ride for example .

rebuilds on a regular basis . they have so much power that is beyond the capabilities of most people .

the husabergs weakness is the design of the water pump seal / oil seal which sits in the clutch cover .the o' ring that is located on the water pump shaft that runs through the clutch cover .

this is a design fault that has finally been addressed for 07

i know of many bikes that suffer from the above design fault , not just 1 or 2 .

tell me more about this water pump seal business

Hey Bob!

You are being hosed! :ride: Most modern dirtbikes (even Japanese ones) have a water pump seal that runs through the clutch cover. :thumbsup:

the husaberg is a great bike , my comment is based on experience .

husabergs must be strictly maintained , oil changes every 2nd ride for example .

rebuilds on a regular basis . they have so much power that is beyond the capabilities of most people .

the husabergs weakness is the design of the water pump seal / oil seal which sits in the clutch cover .the o' ring that is located on the water pump shaft that runs through the clutch cover .

this is a design fault that has finally been addressed for 07

i know of many bikes that suffer from the above design fault , not just 1 or 2 .

I have to question your impression that Husabergs need engine rebuilds on a regular basis. Yes they need frequent oil changes but not frequent motor rebuilds.

I have over 200 engine hours and 5000 miles on my 05 FS650E and the only major engine item that went kaput and replaced were crunchy rocker arm roller bearings at 4k miles. And it was an easy fix. Basically the bike only needs oil changes every 5-8 engine hours (yes the owners manual says every 3 hours), valve check/adj every 40 engine hours and new rear tires as they wear out. As far as the water pump seal goes I've had my engine side cover off a few times for maintenance and the trick is to use the proper technique & shaft guides when replacing the cover. If you do it wrong then yes you might find yourself with some leaks due to nicking the o-ring seal.

Craterbum: Whatever you do don't buy a Husaberg. Warm beer, cold women, no fun, stay away :thumbsup: Subliminal reverse psychology.