TT-R 225 and TT-R 230 mods thread.

k these questions have probably been asked 1000s times... does addin 5mm of fork oil to each fork make them a fair bit stiffer?..and with that mod will i have to add washer on top of the springs?

Also with rejetting do u feel a big power gain?? (which jet is more crutial to change pilot or main when taking the baffle/snorkel out)

Also can u still jump eventthough the baffle over the main jet is out ?

Hello everybody...new guy here...Looks like there is a wealth of knowledge here on bikes...

here is my question:

Just bought an '05 TTR230 for wife and it has a hard time idling....idles fine when it gets nice and warmed up. It also seems to back fire a bit when you let of the gas after accelerating hard. I have read this thread a little bit but not sure I am able to distinguish between the jets for th 225 or 230.

So does this mean the bike is running lean or rich? I think it is lean condition

what jets do you reccommend for a 2005 TTR230?

Thanks in advance

Scotty J.

Ride Fast, Take Chances!!!

Hello everybody...new guy here...Looks like there is a wealth of knowledge here on bikes...

here is my question:

Just bought an '05 TTR230 for wife and it has a hard time idling....idles fine when it gets nice and warmed up. It also seems to back fire a bit when you let of the gas after accelerating hard. I have read this thread a little bit but not sure I am able to distinguish between the jets for th 225 or 230.

So does this mean the bike is running lean or rich? I think it is lean condition

what jets do you reccommend for a 2005 TTR230?

Thanks in advance

Scotty J.

Ride Fast, Take Chances!!!

Welcome Scotty

You can find step by step instructions on page 10 of this sticky. Good luck

OK guys...I pulled the plug on my newly acquired TTR230 and it what whitish and I noticed when I ran it yesterday that the exhaust pipe was a bit Blue so i am thinking that I am already too LEAN.....so if I rejet and do air box mod will that help or hurt ?

I am going try and adjust fuel screw and see if that helps...right now the bike has a bit of trouble idleing and it pops and sputters or misses when giving it gas....although it might not be fully warmed up yet...so I will test it tonight....how long does it take to warm up..

Any thoughts...

Scotty J.

OK guys...I pulled the plug on my newly acquired TTR230 and it what whitish and I noticed when I ran it yesterday that the exhaust pipe was a bit Blue so i am thinking that I am already too LEAN.....so if I rejet and do air box mod will that help or hurt ?

I am going try and adjust fuel screw and see if that helps...right now the bike has a bit of trouble idleing and it pops and sputters or misses when giving it gas....although it might not be fully warmed up yet...so I will test it tonight....how long does it take to warm up..

Any thoughts...

Scotty J.

Scotty--you are running very lean. I had to adjust the fuel screw on my '03 225 out almost 3 turns with the stock jetting. now it starts fine with the choke and warms up within 60 seconds.

Since you are running lean. Do the fuel screw first, see what happens. Then do the jets and readjust the fuel screw if you don't fix the problem.

I would not change the air box unless to plan to do the exhuaust also.

I haven't done it yet, but the combination of jets, airbox, and exhaust mods listed in this post will make a big difference. Also changing the front sprocket are some of the cheapest mods you can do to improve the bike.:busted:

I did something similar to my SV650, and what a difference!! Now I can't leave well enough alone.?

Also, one small tidbit. I have discovered that when I am finished riding, I turn off my petcock and start the bike, and let it run the carb out of fuel. When I go to start it, I just turn the petcock on, allow the float bowl to fill(about 45-60 seconds), pull the choke, and it fires every time on about the 2 or 3rd revolution of the elect. start.

Scotty--you are running very lean. I had to adjust the fuel screw on my '03 225 out almost 3 turns with the stock jetting. now it starts fine with the choke and warms up within 60 seconds.

Since you are running lean. Do the fuel screw first, see what happens. Then do the jets and readjust the fuel screw if you don't fix the problem.

I would not change the air box unless to plan to do the exhuaust also.

I haven't done it yet, but the combination of jets, airbox, and exhaust mods listed in this post will make a big difference. Also changing the front sprocket are some of the cheapest mods you can do to improve the bike.:busted:

I did something similar to my SV650, and what a difference!! Now I can't leave well enough alone.?

Also, one small tidbit. I have discovered that when I am finished riding, I turn off my petcock and start the bike, and let it run the carb out of fuel. When I go to start it, I just turn the petcock on, allow the float bowl to fill(about 45-60 seconds), pull the choke, and it fires every time on about the 2 or 3rd revolution of the elect. start.

Thanks...I just put in a new plug last night. I am going riding this Sunday and may just leave things the way they are to see if it gets better riding all day. The bike starts up on the 1st or second hit of the switch with choke out all the way when it is cold, so starting has not been a problem. It seems not to want to stay idling after a few mins. and I have read that it is a cold blooded bike and needs sufficient time to warm up. Therefore, I am going to leave it alone for now and ride as is and then pull the plug after Sunday's ride and see what it looks like. I do plan on doing the airbox, jets, baffle, and sprocket change at some point.

Scotty J.

ok, heres the low down,

i have an 03 ttr 225 and i did the air box mod and the exhuast mod to it. i didnt change the jets because the bike seemed to run fine on them. i have moved up and am selling the bike to a good friend who wants to go riding with me. i know the ttr is a good trail bike but i go to tracks as well. i have been looking for a rear spring to maybe raise the height and be stiffer as well (hes 190 lbs). the front shocks are good and wont bottom out unless its like a 10 foot jump. ive also found a big gun exhaust for it for performance.

so, does anyone know of a rear spring i could use for it?

and how much help will the big gun be? what jets would i need for it?

any help would be great, or maybe just a guess as to what would help is nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed that screws are real easy to strip on the TTR225. I have used something called an impact screwdriver. I bought mine from Sears, you can also buy one from Harbor Freight. You hit this impact screwdriver with a hammer and it turns the screw just enough to loosen the screw without messing up the head. I have used it on many screws on my TTR225 and it has been very valuable.

I have also done the air box mods, carb rejetting, and exhaust mod and I am very happy with the performance gain. I am 230 pounds and this is my first dirtbike and it pulls wheelies in first and second by just getting on the throttle. Thanks to this sticky I was able to do all these mods myself. I really appreciate the time that everyone spent writing and taking pictures of the mods.

I purchased my jets at my local Yamaha dealership for $2.50 a piece. They had them in stock.

All I do is ride mine in the woods. I went from a 15 tooth to a 14 tooth sprocket in the front, and did the other mods listed in this sticky. I didn't do anythind to the forks, because I haven't really jumped but 3' or so off of the ground. I am 31 years old and this is my first dirtbike. I road it in the woods and the first few times it seemed powerful, then after that I had to have more power. The bike is just more fun, I am worried that opening up the air box might mess up the engine on day. I usuallt go through a lot of mud, water, and sand.