Sign in to follow this  

What do you think about a CRF250R or a YZ250F...

I'm a newbie and hope to have a new bike in the next couple days. I am looking at a CRF250R or YZ250F. I would like to do mostly trail riding and some MX track (no racing though). I like the idea of a light bike and would like to go with the mx style. What do ya'll think?

I'm 27 yrs old, 6'1", 200#.

You said you were going to do modtly trail riding.

If its too tech, steep, loose stuff. A 250 F will barely do it, and might have valve problems if you are constantly overreving it. Specially because of your weight.

If its tight trail riding i dont think it matters much.

A 250 F is excelent for track riding, specially since you aren`t compiting. They are easy to ride.

Another option might be a 250 2 stroke MXer (YZ 250 CR 250), that would be a hell lot more fun at the trails and still good at the track.

There are upsand downs rewarding costs, manteinance, weight/power relationship on 2 stroke vs 4 stroke.

But i think it all comes down to how hard do you ride and what kind of trails you`ll be riding.

For example i bought a wr 250 on February as my first bike, and after 3 months i was looking for more power. I found a cheap CR 250 and i`m happier as i could be.

Whatever you do dont get a trail bike or a WR, CRFX... those arent track friendly.

On the other hand the Mxer can be rode at the trail as they are.

Track bikes and trail bikes have lots of differences that make them better at the type of riding they are designed for. Lots of posts in here about it (YZ v. WR type discussions).

Both are great bikes. Yamaha is felt by pretty much everyone to be much more reliable. Hondas have a history of valve problems, if that is solved in the '07 bikes it's anyone's guess.

I think a 250 two-stroke would be better suited for you. A 250 two-stroke will be far more dependable while still giving you the performance you want on the track and trail.

Get a YZ250F. It will have plenty of power, I'm the same weight as you, and I take it on tight trails with steep hills, it never fails!

I think a 250 two-stroke would be better suited for you. A 250 two-stroke will be far more dependable while still giving you the performance you want on the track and trail.

I have to disagree with that one. You are going to be replacing piston rings a few times a year on the 2-stroke. While the 4-stroke is going to be a lot more expensive to rebuild when the time comes, its going to run at least 200 hours before that happens. In that time you would have rebuild a 2-stroke 15-20 times.

If you want a bike thats good for trail riding and some MX riding (but not racing), I think Id go with a Yamaha WR 250F. Its got the same engine and chassis as the YZ 250F, but the suspension is setup more for trail riding and the tranny has wider gear ratios.

Thats not to say that you couldnt trail ride a MX bike, but an enduro is going to better suited for trails.

I would avoid a CRF. They are well-known for valvetrain problems. If you want a 4-stroke a Yamaha is by far the best choice.

I have to disagree with that one. You are going to be replacing piston rings a few times a year on the 2-stroke. While the 4-stroke is going to be a lot more expensive to rebuild when the time comes, its going to run at least 200 hours before that happens. In that time you would have rebuild a 2-stroke 15-20 times.

If you want a bike thats good for trail riding and some MX riding (but not racing), I think Id go with a Yamaha WR 250F. Its got the same engine and chassis as the YZ 250F, but the suspension is setup more for trail riding and the tranny has wider gear ratios.

Thats not to say that you couldnt trail ride a MX bike, but an enduro is going to better suited for trails.

I would avoid a CRF. They are well-known for valvetrain problems. If you want a 4-stroke a Yamaha is by far the best choice.

It's all about how hard you ride the bike. 15-20 rebuilds in 200 hours for a 250 two-stroke? Maybe if your name is James Stewart. For the average rider, that many rebuilds is completely unnecessary. 2-3 ring jobs a year is even overkill for the average trail rider.

200 hours on a 250F? Unlikely. Do a quick search through these forums and you'll see many guy's bikes going in as little as 60 hours.

Thank you for the suggestions...here are some points of thought:

I'm rather green at riding a bike and the burst that comes from the power bands scares the crap out of me. I ride a friends yz85 and pop the front end up on the first 2-3 gears. I'm sure I would get used to it but would rather not have to.

I think the MX style bike is lighter than the trail versions. The electric start alone adds 25-35 lbs.

The 2006 YZ250f weighs in at 206 lbs dry.

The 2006 WR250f weighs in at 234.8 lbs dry.

Finally, I do not think I will be riding it very hard at first. I would like to become very comfortable to avoid any major injuries.

I just wanted to know if this bike is capable of pulling a 200# person up some hills and through some fields. I will ride up some short and steep hills but nothing ridiculous.