Sign in to follow this  

Dumb problem to have????

I just got done grinding out my exhaust heads and I want to see if I need to rejet. However, when I went to take my plug out no dice. I can't get it out :ride: I tried the 11/16 socket it fits down in there but does not fit the plug. So I went to the 3/4 but that wont fit down in there. So I went and bought a thin walled 3/4 socket and that wont fit down to the plug either. Do I need a special tool or? :thumbsup:

thanks

Go to the dealer and get the stock wrench. It has to be thin wall. Anything else is just too fat and won't fit down the plug hole

it's a 5/8, u might need to turn down the outside a tiny bit depending on the width of the sidewall. On my bike i got no problems, my dad's, i'm in the same boat. He has a 86 XL250 i got the 02 XR250

it's a 5/8, u might need to turn down the outside a tiny bit depending on the width of the sidewall. On my bike i got no problems, my dad's, i'm in the same boat. He has a 86 XL250 i got the 02 XR250

NWXR400-

This is TOTALLY untrue for the XR400. You MUST have an 18mm thin wall socket from Honda or Motion Pro P/N#08-0175 makes one for 20.00 Note: I got the MP socket and had to grind about 1/16th of and inch off the sidewall to make it fit without binding in the spark plug hole. Hope this helps.

Really, I admit, i don't have a 400, but i thought the size of the wrench that would fit over the plug would be the same. It's my experience that plugs are one of two sizes. The small one is the 5/8 and I forget what the large one is. Maybe the 400 has a plug that uses the large one, i don't know. If not, your normal spark plug wrench with that size should work. It's then just a simple matter of haveing the outside diameter small enough to fit in that small gap between the plug and the head. But again, I don't have a 400 laying around to check this on.

Really, I admit, i don't have a 400, but i thought the size of the wrench that would fit over the plug would be the same. It's my experience that plugs are one of two sizes. The small one is the 5/8 and I forget what the large one is. Maybe the 400 has a plug that uses the large one, i don't know. If not, your normal spark plug wrench with that size should work. It's then just a simple matter of haveing the outside diameter small enough to fit in that small gap between the plug and the head. But again, I don't have a 400 laying around to check this on.

Wrong. :thumbsup: "Normal" is 5/8 and 13/16, some small engines use 3/4, but a lot of import stuff is 18mm (including the XR400).