Sign in to follow this  

Just picked up my 07 DRZ400s tonight

:applause: Like a kid in a candy store (blue candy btw) :applause: Just drove it home from the stealership and have been looking at it in the garage wondering what I should do next (other than ride the wheels off) :ride: . Any of you veterans have any tips on good break in, when I should throw on the mods waiting and so forth?

Things to do and parts attained:

Full Yosh RS-3 pipe

DJ Stage 1

Twin air Filter

White bros Skid plate

Rad guards

47 tooth Rear sprocket (14 front on order)

Can I do the 3x3 right away before breakin period or should I wait? :applause:

I do weigh around 260 and am 6'3 so I know I will need to do some suspension and bar adjustments I'm sure. Any suggestions?

Sure is fun to ride...not the usual rush that the Gixxxer 1k had but man I can go wherever I want :applause: Hoping that the mods will give some more zip but I'm not expecting the world just some good old fun :thumbsup:

Hi and congrats on the new bike!

As for break-in, check this out:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

It's not really a secret, and it's not really controversial, even if it goes against conventional wisdom. Ride the bike hard from Day 1 to break it in right. That's what all the engine experts in this forum will tell you too.

No need to wait on any on the mods you want to do. Go right at it!

Get the bike to a suspension shop for the suspension adjustments. You need your forks and shock re-valved and there's no way most of us can do that. It will be a few hundred dollars but that will include the new springs you need. Don't just replace the springs. That's not the right way to do your suspension. The valves and springs work together.

One thing you might consider: return the Yosh (for now) and get the FCR carb. That will give you way more of a power and performance boost than the Yosh will. If you got the $$$, keep the Yosh and get the FCR. In which case you'll need a gripper seat cover too!

:thumbsup:

id get those sprockets on asap. i cant believe the dif. man i can slam the gears as fast as i can shift it. change your tires to dunlop (or whatever you like), some acerbis handguards would be good.. the lugage rack and skid plate are good. i would wait to jet until you have everything (needle, screw, full pipe,pilot, main jets) as you need to pull all the plastics and tank (for good acess) to do re-jet. by the time you have all your jetting parts she should be broken in enough. i take it easy the first two tanks (91) octane, change the oil and then ride it like you stole it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

matt

pismo beach, ca

just a reminder do the sprockets first, make them overnight that 14 tooth!! huge diferance on mine. my only other mod so fas is the rs-3 full pipe with biger main and it gets-it!!!! im waiting for parts so i can do the 3x3 mod. i have 850 miles on mine (just sold an xr650L) bought used with 500 miles and love it over my L which was de-smogged, 14tooth front , jetted, w.b. slip on etc...

matt

pismo beach, ca

Put fcr on with yoshi full exhaust you love it just did mine with 2500 km on it. I left insert in still sound mean but not to loud. You will get true 2 gear power wheelies without slipping clutch with stock gearing. My bike sounds and performs the way these bike should be stock. I broke mine in easy first 20 miles then changed oil. Then drove it like I stole it not wide open highway miles but around town wide open let off for about 300 miles changed oil again. It run better now than new and burns no oil between changes every 600 miles. I am not a expert but it seemed to work so far. I guess we will see if breaking in this way works in a couple years.

Hey thanks for the input everyone!

OUt of curiosisty, did they have any 07 SMs there?
No they didn't sorry. They only had one DR650 and my 400 it's kinda a small stealership :ride:

Been in the 90's and out with the wife so haven't gotten to do much in the way of riding yet. Hopefully I will be doing some modding tomorrow though :thumbsup: