Sign in to follow this  

Newb needing advice

i went to the track yesterday and loved it. i found though that i was having problems keeping good technique while approaching jumps. i was accel up the jump and i couldn't hold onto the bike with my legs cause of the way i was positioned. so my arms got tired really quick. my bike pulls hard so after only 10 laps or so i couldn't control my back well at all. what can i do? my knees are like 2 inches above the tank.

Also with turning should i ride along the top outside or cut the inside?

dont hold on!! you need to loosen up and FLOOWWW! Turns are all different...cant help you there!

i went to the track yesterday and loved it. i found though that i was having problems keeping good technique while approaching jumps. i was accel up the jump and i couldn't hold onto the bike with my legs cause of the way i was positioned. so my arms got tired really quick. my bike pulls hard so after only 10 laps or so i couldn't control my back well at all. what can i do? my knees are like 2 inches above the tank.

Also with turning should i ride along the top outside or cut the inside?

Squeeze with your ankles.

I think you just need more time on your bike. The first time I went to the track I was REALLY sore afterwards, but each time I go Im a little less sore.

I think part of it is that you need to relax and just flow with the bike.

About the corners, it depends. I personally like to use the berm on the outside because you can carry more speed around the corners and keep your momentum up. However, sometimes you have to go to the inside to pass and using the inside allows you to block pass. If you use the inside you may have to feather the clutch a bit coming out of the turn to get the revs up quickly.

After 10 laps, any one of us would have a hard time holding on! :thumbsup:

After 10 laps, any one of us would have a hard time holding on! :ride:

Strongly agree.. if you can do 10 laps flat out your doing well! :thumbsup:

how long are normal races? it seems like i should be able to go more? oh well i guess i just need to ride more.

Normal races are only 4-5 laps depending on your class. If you can ride at speed for a solid 15-20 minutes then you are in good physical shape. For quailboy to be able to ride for 10 continous laps before having trouble holding on is outstanding. I don't see a problem here. :thumbsup:

well damn i thought i wouldnt be able to last a race. thats great news well thanks for the advice anyways.

Go and race w/ the plan of learning and having a good time. If you exceed your plan good for you. Remember this, if it isn't fun..............why do it? Keep it fun and the good results will come on their own! :ride:

Most of all.................GOOD LUCK! :thumbsup: