Riding area for little newbie

Hey all - been snooping around lately and finally stopped to say HI.

My 8 year old daughter decided she doesn’t like dad getting into racing WMRRA and doing track days, and wants me to teach her how to ride dirt (a distraction technique probably instigated by my wife! ). Problem is I've never ridden dirt either and dont know all the places to ride. ?

We've been out to Rieder's (sp) pit 3 x's this year, but honestly she needs someplace a little easier to ride so she can get used to riding without breaking her collar bone on a small bolder the next time she locks up the front end :ride: .

Any suggestions on an area that might have a medium sized open field where she can ride around and learn the basics with a little more confidence? Within a couple hours drive from Carnation/North Bend area where we live would be ideal.

any help would be great!

Thanks

Deron

Yeah, the first parking area at Reiter (where all teh quad riders park) is not a real good place because of all the boulders. If you go another mile and a half up the road there is a dirt road on the left that you can park on and the riding there is much less rocky but she would still be limited to riding the gravel road until her skills develop.

Walker Valley up by Mt.Vernon has some roads that she could learn to ride on. As far as open fields...I just don't know. 30 years ago one could ride just about anywhere.

Since you are in North Bend your best bet may be to head east.

Taneum Junction is only a couple hours from North Bend. They have a dirt trail right off the parking lot for the children to ride on. It is right there close to camp so you always know where she will be. It is a very good short loop for her to learn on. Only children and mothers are supposed to be on this trail. It might be just the ticket for a family outing.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips guys.

Spent a couple days this past weekend riding with her at Taneum and near Kachees Dam Rd that someone from the camp ground told me about. She's really starting to fine tune the basics - soft front brake, starting the bike herself, putting the foot out(sometimes).

Looks like we're on our way to riding more and more together. Just what mom wanted - her working my pit on WMRRA weekends and all other weekends we're out playing in the dirt! :thumb