125 Vs 200 Vs 250 Vs 300

i ride woods most of the time that have big climbs, deep mud, and loose rock. but the bike will end up on the track once in a while. i will most likely race harescrambles with the bike.and i am coming off a cr80. i know you probably think i would be crazy wanting a 300cc 2 stroke, but i would rather be slightly scared of my bike for a while than master the bike in 2 rides and be bored. i am 5'2 110 pounds. i am currently looking at the 200 or 250 because i have read they have the same seat hight. and the bike will be a 98-03 model bike. i want to know what you ktm guys think because i have had lots of people tell me that the 200 is a nice bike. right now i am deciding between the exc200 or 250. a 97 yz125. and a 01-03 wr250f. the only reason i am considering the wr is because i have no experience on 4 strokes and would like to know how they are. any oppinions would be great

I have had, or still do have 3 200MXC, never had an EXC. Im 220lbs and used to race MX in the 70's when I was a kid. I like close ratio gear boxes and with a small motor. I believe it is better so you dont have any gaps in the power. It has the gb of the sx and the heavy flywheel of the exc. Add lites and its an exc, kinda, without the gaps in the trans. Some like the EXC cuz it will go faster on top end for roads. I dont ride roads and I dont know too many people that could ride a KTM 200 wide open for very long in the dirt, they go scary fast. Its lite like a 125 with a strong motor, almost like a 250. I ride the calif desert and the mountain trails in the trees too. I get 75mi plus on the stock tank and never have turned reserve on. The 200 rips, but it wont climb the big, long, sandy hills in the desert with me on it, like my 300 EXC did...oh well thats a small price to pay for what I get in return. I ride the 300 a day in the desert and Im beat for 2-3 days. I ride the 200 for 2-3 days before I feel that way. Ive ridden 400 4st's and they are slow compared to the 200. The 450 are faster, more power, but they will kick your butt in the woods.

If you do woods and trails, but also want to make the occasional foray onto a track, the MXC is your weapon. It has almost the same performance as the SX, and the suspension nicely splits the difference between the moto-stiff SX and the root-friendly EXC.

The MXC and EXC suspension is the same. The difference is lights, odo, and tranny.

The MXC and EXC suspension is the same. The difference is lights, odo, and tranny.
First, I meant XC, as the MXC is gone. And the XC and EXC suspension is not the same, the EXC is much softer and cushier, with lighter spring and damping rates. The XC suspension is almost as stiff as the SX suspension, and is actually pretty decent on a natural terrain moto track, as long as you aren't trying to do super-cross style massive jumps. The EXC suspension is pillowy soft and coddles you in comfort when riding through nasty rocks and roots that beat the hell out of you if you are using a moto setup.

First, I meant XC, as the MXC is gone. And the XC and EXC suspension is not the same, the EXC is much softer and cushier, with lighter spring and damping rates. The XC suspension is almost as stiff as the SX suspension, and is actually pretty decent on a natural terrain moto track, as long as you aren't trying to do super-cross style massive jumps. The EXC suspension is pillowy soft and coddles you in comfort when riding through nasty rocks and roots that beat the hell out of you if you are using a moto setup.

Unfortunately, I can't read your mind. Fortunately it doesn't matter, as the original poster was looking at '98 thru '03 models, thus eliminating the XC.

Sounds like you're not going to get bigger than me, 5'9"/175 lbs, so I recommend the 200. I'm 43 with 33 years of riding experience and I can't imagine ever getting bored with the 200. If I were 40 or 50 lbs heavier or a lot taller, it would be a different story. I'm pretty sure I'm done growing. ?

At your size, get the 200 and I think the mxc would be the way to go. I don't know if you could pick up a wr250 if you dropped it the wrong way. The seat height may be the same on a 200 and a 250, but the 200 feels alot smaller, and feels much lighter than a 250 even though the scale will say they are pretty close.

welcome to KTM, the world of uncountable decisions! lol.

to break things down to a very simple factor. the 200 will be lighter and more agile through the words and the 250 will be better at the hill climbs you described, and in more torque robbing/requiring points of your ride. anyone can correct me if im wrong.

At your size, I wouldn't count out the 125 since you can race it in the 125 class. The 125SX and 200SX's seem to be resold at give away prices.

As was said, this is really about the 200 EXC or MXC as the 200SX was only made in 2003 and 2004.

There was a nice 2002 200EXC for sale out your way. (MO)

Check www.KTMTalk.com for used bike or www.craigslist.org

Both are a good source for KTM 2-smokes.