Sign in to follow this  

Excellent Jetting Tips

"One of the things with riding a four stroke that can be really annoying is when you go to crack the throttle and the bike bogs for a second and hesitates in delivering the power to the ground that you need at that very moment. This is usually due to too much fuel getting into the main body of the carburetor. When the throttle is closed there is no gas being pumped into the carburetor. When you snap the throttle on if your pilot jet is too big or fuel screw is turned out too far this will cause too much fuel being dumped into your carburetor's main body and cause the notorious BOG."

It's the opposite actually, rarely does a rich pilot circuit cause an FCR carb to bog. The bike will typically bog from being too lean. Too much fuel thru the pilot or AP circuit will make your bike rev slowly, but not bog.

That's interesting because when I was having bog trouble with my '06 I was having bog trouble (bad) but after I switched to the FMF 4.1 Dual Titanium silencers my bog magically disapeared and seemed to lean the motor out just enough to end any and all bog issues. I was and still am psyched to be rid of the problem. I have had many, many hours of seat time since the bog disapeared and I can honestly say, not once has my bike bogged or hesitated all through the entire throttle range.

I'm sure you know what you are talking about it's just that my one experience has been different than that. My 250R is the first bike I have ever owned that had jetting/carb issues coming from the factory. I've owned a ton of bikes in my 36 years of riding and I guess I've been fortunate to have my jetting be a non issue. A lot of my friends with their KTM's seem to always be messing with theirs and a couple guys I know with WR's are having difficulty as well.

That's interesting because when I was having bog trouble with my '06 I was having bog trouble (bad) but after I switched to the FMF 4.1 Dual Titanium silencers my bog magically disapeared and seemed to lean the motor out just enough to end any and all bog issues. I was and still am psyched to be rid of the problem. I have had many, many hours of seat time since the bog disapeared and I can honestly say, not once has my bike bogged or hesitated all through the entire throttle range.

I'm sure you know what you are talking about it's just that my one experience has been different than that. My 250R is the first bike I have ever owned that had jetting/carb issues coming from the factory. I've owned a ton of bikes in my 36 years of riding and I guess I've been fortunate to have my jetting be a non issue. A lot of my friends with their KTM's seem to always be messing with theirs and a couple guys I know with WR's are having difficulty as well.

How do you know the pipe leaned out the jetting?