Sign in to follow this  

Carb tuning question

Does anyone actually check the color of the spark plug to see if they are running lean/rich? I am thinking I am a little lean due to lack of top end and some hesitation at high rpms (constant throttle).

Do you think to go down a clip and increase the Main Jet?

will it hurt anything to try this?

thanks for any help.

Spark plugs are very hard to read with modern fuels. If you are a race tuner using race gas and controlled conditions and 20 yr experience, then OK. But not for the average guy.

Post your motorcycle, current jetting, and operating conditions

My current configuration is 3x3, DJ with 142.5/25, 3 turns out on screw. Yosh RS3 with TEC IN. Athena Big Bore 94mm 12.3 compression piston. Hotcam stage 1 intake and exhaust. Bike starts and idles good. Currently at sea level and hot here in florida.

brown = good

black/oily/whit = bad

if it's burning at the proper temp, it'll be a dark tan/brown color. if it's running really rich it'll be a mucky black color. if it's white, its running too hot.

brown = good

black/oily/whit = bad

if it's burning at the proper temp, it'll be a dark tan/brown color. if it's running really rich it'll be a mucky black color. if it's white, its running too hot.

sorry,but no.

with modern fuels the plug will look like new when the jetting is correct.

I need to get out with the cover off. Will do shortly and let you know.

Ok took cover off per eddie's direction and I thought it pull harder to limiter. I could still get some hesitation from it but I thought it was better with the cover OFF.

Should I try to go the other direction with reducing my 3x3 hole to see what it does?

thanks for the help

Covered about 1/3 to 1/2 with tape and the hesitation is gone. I think there is a little more top end too. Got to 87 indicated. So I need to go down one on the Main Jet. Currently set to 142.5 I am guessing 140? or 138?

I take that back. Looks like I need more fuel because I taped off some of the air? So looks like I need 145?

thanks,

matt

Im having a similar problem, Ill be at 75mph and pull the throttle wide open and my bike starts to buck/hesitate for a second or two and goes back to normal, then occasionally hesitates while holding it down at about 85-90mph

08 DRZ400s

Full Yoshimura RS2

3x3 mod

DynoJet:

155 main

25 pilot

4th clip on needle

mixture screw 2.75 turns out.

500-1000ft above sea level, 60-80 degrees