Sign in to follow this  

Hi need some advice...please..

Hi guys:

I have seen that there is a 2003 KLR on Ebay for roughly $5000 in near new shape. Question is...is it worth it??? I have found that I can get a 2007 for $6500 in my area.

Also..are the new bikes that much better and what do I look for, or look out for???

I have been out of riding for some 20 years and want desparately to get back in the saddle again. I used to have a duel sport way back when so want the same again.

Please can someone help an old guy out??? lol

Willys

Willys,

The KLR is three or four years old, how many miles does it have on it? If it was my choice and I could afford to, I would choose the new bike for $1500 more. That way I would know how the bike was taken care of. Will you have a chance to inspect the bike before you buy it?

I’m not sure that bikes have improved that much in the last 4 model years, but they sure have in the last 20 years. I think you will be impressed with what ever you get.

As far as bike choice goes, there are several different factors to consider. Such as, what type of dual sport riding do you like? Tight single tracks, or seasonal and fire roads over long distances. Also, do you mind working on your bike? The higher tech and performance the bike is the quicker things tend wear out. Do you mind working on motorcycles? Or are there trustworthy dealerships in the area? Which is more important to you, comfort or performance? This type of information will help you decide which bike is right for you. Also the laws in your area might limit your choices. I think that some States require the bike to be street legal from the factory to be plated.

Willys,

The KLR is three or four years old, how many miles does it have on it? If it was my choice and I could afford to, I would choose the new bike for $1500 more. That way I would know how the bike was taken care of. Will you have a chance to inspect the bike before you buy it?

I’m not sure that bikes have improved that much in the last 4 model years, but they sure have in the last 20 years. I think you will be impressed with what ever you get.

As far as bike choice goes, there are several different factors to consider. Such as, what type of dual sport riding do you like? Tight single tracks, or seasonal and fire roads over long distances. Also, do you mind working on your bike? The higher tech and performance the bike is the quicker things tend wear out. Do you mind working on motorcycles? Or are there trustworthy dealerships in the area? Which is more important to you, comfort or performance? This type of information will help you decide which bike is right for you. Also the laws in your area might limit your choices. I think that some States require the bike to be street legal from the factory to be plated.

Food for thought. There is such a variety out there now, you will be able to find a bike just for what you want to do. All the major brands have web sites that you can read what the bikes were designed for. If you are willing to spend 5k then you can get a new bike. :thumbsup:

Strongly urge you not to take that bike - at least at that price.

I have a klr250 - nice bike for what it is but you may want to read some of the posts in the duel sport forum especially once you figure out what type of riding you want to do - freeway/dirt roads/fire roads/simple trails/tight single track up&down steep hills/etc... The klr250 has not changed since (about) 1986. Lots and lots of bikes out there...

Hi Guys:

I have already desided to wait and see what happens in the next few months with my finances....I am inclinded to buy machinery new as that way I always know what it's life has been like and therefore less trouble in the long run. My problem is that I see something I want and the blood gets rushing and I don't always think with the correct head so to speak!!!! lol

I will probably buy a new bike , the best deal I can get in Toronto Ontario is $6500 out the door...no movement! They seem to sell like hotcakes...but you rarely see the bikes around???

I want a KLR but have had a Honda 600XL for a short spell in the late eighties. I plan on doing mostly street riding with it as I like the upright seating position and way it feels and acts. At the moment I have a 98 Kawa Ninja with 1200kms original but hate it...I'm not comfortable with the handle bar seat relationship.

Any way....is there a compareable duel sport out there to the KLR650???That I should be looking at??? I have always heard that the KLR650 has been the top of the field...is this still true???

Willys

Hi Guys:

Any way....is there a compareable duel sport out there to the KLR650???That I should be looking at??? I have always heard that the KLR650 has been the top of the field...is this still true???

Willys

The XR650 seems to be a pretty good bike, and it's a fairly new design too. If you're willing to spend $5000 on a second hand bike, I'd buy new if I was you. You can get good second hand bikes, but you can also get bad ones, it's a bit of a gamble.

KLR650? Where are you going to ride when you are not on the road?