Calico Ghost Town

Has anyone camped at Calico Ghost Town at the KOA and went riding from the camp site? If so, how is the riding in this area? We are going to be going to Calico Ghost Town KOA camp site in November and would like to know how it is before we go.

Thanks!

Old-Man

We go every Halloween. We don't camp int he KOA, though, we dry camp off mule canyon rd. I don't know if you can ride right out of the KOA or not. You're not supposed to out of the Ghost Town campground, but I think they kinda look the other way...

The riding is OK. Kinda rocky, with everything from graded roads to some pretty tight, technical stuff up around the mines. Lots of mine shafts, too, to watch out for.

Yea I was thinking about going there this coming season too. To first check it out before we trucked the farm up there, my buddies and I were thinking of riding there from Outlet Center Drive or somewhere around Slash X when we camp there.

Has anyone ever made the trip? We do not dual sport so any highway is out of the question.

Can the KOA facilitate a large motorhome and trailer behind it? Mostly when we go to the Barstow area we bring the Class 5 toys too. Is there anywhere to play with them in Calico?

lots of rocks, kinda crappy

go to barstow, it makes calico feel like pitriding

Guess you just haven't gone exploring there...If you get up around Duran Canyon, it might feel more like trials riding, but if you head north and east, there are miles and miles of trails. You can work your way over to the Copper Canyon area, or North-East into the Yermo Proving Grounds, or more due east clear over into Afton Canyon and Siezure Wash if you have enough gas.

Has anyone camped at Calico Ghost Town at the KOA and went riding from the camp site? If so, how is the riding in this area? We are going to be going to Calico Ghost Town KOA camp site in November and would like to know how it is before we go.

Thanks!

Old-Man

I ride there all the time. If you know where to go there are some fun loops that you can connect together there. You can also connect over to Rainbow Basin from the North/West end of the Calico riding area. If you'd like I'd be more than willing to give you a tour when you come out in November. I could easily put together loops ranging from 30-80 miles and from mild to wild your call.

Walt