Sign in to follow this  

Feeler guage "feel" valve checking

I am in the process of checking the valves on my 03 yz250f. I know it is hard to describe a feeling, but what does the correct size feeler gauge feel like. I am trying to shim all of my valves at the top end (Larger space) of the allowances and I am having a hard time being perfectly accurate. Since I do not have an infinate number of gauge sizes some are tighter than others. Some times the are so tight I think I may be pushing the valve down. I know this is a question that is very hard to answer, but some others technic's would be very appriciated.

I am in the process of checking the valves on my 03 yz250f. I know it is hard to describe a feeling, but what does the correct size feeler gauge feel like. I am trying to shim all of my valves at the top end (Larger space) of the allowances and I am having a hard time being perfectly accurate. Since I do not have an infinate number of gauge sizes some are tighter than others. Some times the are so tight I think I may be pushing the valve down. I know this is a question that is very hard to answer, but some others technic's would be very appriciated.
You shouldn't have to push it in...Slide it in feeling a small amount of resistance..The top and bottom of the gauge rubbing on the pad and cam..You dont have to be perfectly accurate...Just shoot for the high side, Like your doing and youll be fine..If your off a few tenths..no biggie..Your on the high side they"ll close up a little..

u'd have 2 b pushing real hard 2 overcome the spring tension and open a valve.

There should be enough resistace, just like someone with a light pinch on the blade as you drag it through their fingers. All multi (4 valves and in your case 5 valves dont have real high pressure) a slight drag is all that is needed.