Sign in to follow this  

CR125 or CR250

I was wondering what you guys think i should get i am 14 165 lbs and I'm 6'2 and i am probably going to get a new bike for Christmas and i currently ride an 01 XR200R and i mostly trail ride and i have a backyard track i ride on and i might ride one at a track if i can find one where i live but i was leaning toward the CR125 because i don't think i would be ready for the power of a 250, but what do you guys think?

I think a 125 will suit your needs well.Good luck in your descision! :thumbsup:

A 250 is better for trails however, i always ride my 125 on the trails without a problem. A new yz 125 has tons of power, you would be surprised. My vote goes to the 125.

if you weigh 165 chances are u are jsut going to get heavier. id say go for the 250.but i do hear good thngs about the new yz125s....they pack quite a punch for a 125...

i will porbaly get a 125 and is the YZ that much better than the CR?

your way to big for the 125. you will need to do suspension work to it for your weight, and odds are you will get bored with the power fast. not to mention the ZERO low end it has with a light rider will be huge with your weight. it will feel like a TTR on bottom to you.

you need a 250 smoker if your set on a 2

Do you think i will be ready for the power? and the seat height on th YZ is 39 inches

Dude, at 6'2 and 160lbs, get the 250. It's always better to have the power and not need it, as opposed to need the power and not have it.

Be sure to practice on the 2t though, It takes a little more attention than the 4t.

^ you never really "need" any more power than what a 230 has. riding ability dialed in on a 230 and your unstoppable. on most any trails.

but for his size, he needs a 250 if hes getting a 2 stroke, because it has at least some bottom end.

personally, if i were you, i wouldnt get a 2 stroke because of that. a 4 stroke 250 would be perfect.

but, if you have been riding your XR for at least 1.5-2 years, you will be fine on the CR250

My dad says he wont buy me another bike unless its a 2-stroke because they come up with the power alot faster and i mostly ride on my 4 acres which is pretty much flat but i plan on doing some trail riding so i either have to get the 125 or the 250.

How often do you have to rebuild a top end on 2-stroke i am new to 2 strokes and i have no clue about them

Ya man get the 250, in the end youll be so glad u did, and you'll get used to the power and learn how to use it... but thats just me.

Lol plus im 14 myself and ride the 450. Im 6,0 and i can handle the bike great and i have really gotten used to the power and know the bike. so ya LOL

well i have one question how much more matinece do you have to do on a 2 stroke than a 4 stroke?

2 stroke IMO is less maintainence. Sure, you have to do top ends more often then in a 4 stroke, but for 1/4 of the price, im not complaining.

And back to your question. I am 6'6 230, and just got off of a 125 a little over a year ago, meaning i was probably 6'4(ish) 200something, and the 125 was getting dull. I got the 125 when i was 13, and i was still a big boy back that. The first couple rides i was like wow a 125 is super fast i dont want anything else. But after a little bit you get used to it and could handle more. My guess for you would be get a 250.

I think you should go for a 125. You still have a long way to go before weight is an issue and the 125 will teach you how to be a great rider. Clutch and throttle control is the name of the game on a 125.