Sign in to follow this  

Valve shim help!!! RI <.0015, and Stopper plate bolt?

First off, the manual says (page 8-7, step 2) loosen stopper plate bolt. This baby is on tight! I tried twice and came close to stripping it! So I stopped. Seemed the camshaft came off without it anyway. Did I screw something up not loosening it?

Secondly, lets talk clearance:

Left Intake: 0.004 (leaving it alone)

Right intake: <.0015 (thats the lowest guage I had and wouldnt go in)

Left exhaust: 0.010 (leaving it alone)

Right exhaust: 0.010 (leaving it alone)

Since the others are all within their +/- value (right?) Im only doing Right Intake. But all the formulas say to specify clearance measured, but I dont know exactly; its <.0015 - dont know true value.

What do I do?

u have 2 keep sticking larger shims in untill u can get a feeler gauge in 2 get a reading and calculate the proper shim size.

u have 2 keep sticking larger shims in untill u can get a feeler gauge in 2 get a reading and calculate the proper shim size.

smaller shim...not bigger. gap is to big to measure...bigger shim to make gap measureable

vis versa

yea my bolt looks alittle stripped from previous owner, i got lucky and still got it lose... i was like :thumbsup:

yea my bolt looks alittle stripped from previous owner, i got lucky and still got it lose... i was like :thumbsup:

I did the job without loosening it.... what did I do to my bike?

you should be fine. i think the book just tells you to loosen it while its still on the motor to make it easier to loosen. i couldn't imagine trying to loosen that thing with the camshaft off the engine...

that bolt is just for further disassembly of the camshaft itself...i dont see a problem with leaving it on there for reshiming, new valves , etc.

definitly would recemend getting that bolt off carefully and ordering a new one at some point.

you should be fine. i think the book just tells you to loosen it while its still on the motor to make it easier to loosen. i couldn't imagine trying to loosen that thing with the camshaft off the engine...

that bolt is just for further disassembly of the camshaft itself...i dont see a problem with leaving it on there for reshiming, new valves , etc.

definitly would recemend getting that bolt off carefully and ordering a new one at some point.

I should have paid closer attention to the BEFORE appearance/feel. Do you recall a little freeplay in the cam (up or down 1/8") or is it supposed to be motionless unless turning by engine?

I should have paid closer attention to the BEFORE appearance/feel. Do you recall a little free play in the cam (up or down 1/8") or is it supposed to be motionless unless turning by engine?

moves vertically up and down while the cam holders are on the camshaft?

did you make sure you have the set rings either on the camshaft bearings or on the camshaft holders when you put the holders back on? these rings go in the groove on the bearing keeping the bearing from moving holding the camshaft in place.

that's the only thing i can think of for the cam to be moving.....if its rotating that's fine. the cam is suppose to be held by those bearings and the cam holders firmly

moves vertically up and down while the cam holders are on the camshaft?

did you make sure you have the set rings either on the camshaft bearings or on the camshaft holders when you put the holders back on? these rings go in the groove on the bearing keeping the bearing from moving holding the camshaft in place.

that's the only thing i can think of for the cam to be moving.....if its rotating that's fine. the cam is suppose to be held by those bearings and the cam holders firmly

Thats for your time, and patience. I dont mean vertically - misdescribed it. I do mean rotate. But not much. When all buttoned back up and tight, I can grab a lobe and move it (rotate it) about 1/8 inch in both directions (freeplay). With a firm fit with feeler guage the lobes/cam will move that little freeplay amount.

Simply put, I just do not recall any free play before.

Thanks again donnybrasco

anytime :thumbsup:

yea thats not a problem rotation is fine. i dont know if it messes with the measurements with it moving like that , i just like to put the cam chain back on and let the chain tensioner tighten the cam chain again them measure it. not sure if you have to . probably just extra work for me but eh.

anytime :thumbsup:

yea thats not a problem rotation is fine. i dont know if it messes with the measurements with it moving like that , i just like to put the cam chain back on and let the chain tensioner tighten the cam chain again them measure it. not sure if you have to . probably just extra work for me but eh.

Ahhh! your experience is key. Thats why I didnt notice any movement at clearance testing - I still had the tensioner on! Many thnaks!